Customer asked if I offer organic Fert.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by qualitycut, Mar 4, 2008.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut LawnSite Member

Just wondering what is really is and what the cost difference is compared to regular fert. Also if there is anything else you would like to tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

2. 1080p

1080p LawnSite Member

don't you love the way the twin cities is headed...

ironically i received my first call on those services this week.

without sounding negative to that person i asked why they wanted organic?

Got my answer, then proceeded to tell that person about the differences between the two, amount of product being apply between the two.

never applied organic before, know it out there though but i too would be willing to get info on it since more and more people are starting to think this way.

What ever happened to the day when you could blow smoke, stomp the throttle to wake up the neighbors and only use non-organic, american products

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Organic fert = just go take a dump on his yard !

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a great deal of information already posted to this list. You may want to check out some of the threads.

Briefly, organic and organic based fertilizers have been proven to provide great results. Currently you will find that they are also more cost effective than synthetics.

You will also undoubtedly be getting more requests from clients to provide organic or sustainable lawn care. This is the fastest growing part of the "green" industry.

5. 1080p

1080p LawnSite Member

entertain me, how is organic more cost effective?

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There has got to be a lawn that you could run and experiment on. Replace the first app of NPK with some store bought compost if you have nothing else. Just topdress (and spread seed if necessary), using an equal amount in cost and time for your charge.

If - by the time of your second app., the lawn seems to be failing resume your NPK treatments. No harm done.

Is it necessary to put down pre-m year after year? Most of the lawns I take over no longer need pre-m., especially if the seed takes.

If the lawn is ok by the time of your second app of NPK then there are other opportunities to start building a healthy growing environment for grass.

If spring ever comes to our area I will post some pictures of a lawn that has never had NPK, herbicide, pesticide, or irrigation. Neither has it had compost, CGM, or the like of that either. Never bagged the clippings and it suffered through irregular, even abusive mowings.

It is not as mysterious as it has been portrayed to be, by the fertilizer companies. The chief purpose of implementing an organic feeding program is to bring the soil back to what it was before the 'over application' of everything that people will pay for.

7. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Synthetics average $1 or less per 1K sq ft and about 60 secs to apply per 1 K sq ft.

So lets take a 5K sq ft lawn, $5 and 5 minutes.

That would buy 5, 40 lb bags of really cheap compost, (enough for 500 sq ft?) and barely enough time to spread it if I'm really fast and want to throw my back out.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

By creating a sustainable system and reducing or eliminating the majority of your inputs.

9. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

why not just charge extra for the difference

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Guys I'm not here to argue about this, all I'm doing is pasting what google showed me:

Compared to synthetic fertilizers, organic fertilizers have lower levels of actual nutrients. So, on the face of it, one would think that synthetic might be better. However, organic fertilizers perform some important functions that synthetic fertilizers do not.
    For instance, organic fertilizers increase organic content of the soil. By doing so, they increase the soil’s capacity to supply nutrients and other elements essential to plant growth and survival. They improve the actual structure of the soil. Adding organic fertilizers help soil retain water, absorb oxygen and also help to provide adequate drainage.
    Dry, alkaline desert soils can be almost devoid of microbial life. Organic fertilizers also help to increase the level of beneficial bacteria and fungi in the soil. In particular, organic fertilizers also increase mycorrhiza fungi, which create a symbiotic relationship with the roots of plants, and greatly enhance a plant’s ability to grow, absorb nutrients and to make fruits and flowers.

So speaking for myself, I would check into gypsum.