customer asked me for a job???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, May 9, 2006.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I about fell over when a customer that I do about $500 worth of work for every month asked me for a job. He claimed that things were tough and he could use the extra money. I told him I didn't need help at the momment (even though I do). He just paid the last bill I sent him and he has been a good customer for the last 7 years. I just hope he doesn't declare bankruptcy on me. I almost think I should stop maintenance for this customer??? What do you guys think?

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what I would do, but can I have a job? You better cash that check I just sent you ASAP :waving:

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough call. I think if he is spending $500 with you, then he is spending $500 on other"services" and probably more. He should re-due his budget and cut out the services he can do on his own first.

And yes, cash his check...FAST!

or something is up his sleeve.

kc

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

prepay on credit card. same for everyone else. listen up... youll be glad you did.

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't stop. He's still paying. A lot of people define "difficult situation" differently. He might be talking about not be able to afford his 1200 a month porshe payment.

6. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

If he can afford to pay you $500 a month for yard work things aren't that tough. ;)

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think he's just being open about his finances. Help him out if you can or just work with him...you will benefit from it in the long run.

8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Customer for 7 years? just keep cutting. If he can't afford you, he will let you go.

9. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Keep going until he says so. He may be a "Sky is falling" type of guy. Everyone handles stress differently-he seems to be an open "tell everyone my problems" type. He will let you know when the bottom actually falls out-then try and work something out with him if you like. We all have too much stress and PITA's to deal with to worry about everyones problems. Take care of yourself and business first, then help him out if you can/want to.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Why not hire him...If you need help. In the summer months the manger of the perkins resturant I mowed wanted some extra $$ plus he wanted to stay in shape and he enjoyed gardening. so I gave him a shot on his days off from the resturant. Worked out great. I had a partime employee for the larger jobs and he never worked on the perkins property he managed while he was working for me....