1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer asked me to raise her rate!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nlminc, May 15, 2008.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Actually this is the second on in a week to say this to me. I've been taking care of her lawn for 4 years now for $250.00/month/12. Her lawn is 7,500 sqft. She came out yesterday to chat since we haven't bumped into one another in a while. She said that with the rising cost of fuel and everything else I needed to raise my rates! I had commented on her sons new Duramax GMC and the cost of fuel....which brought this up. I told her that I was drafting a letter this month about the cost of doing business and she told me that she would not complain if I raised her rate! I nearly fell over! To be honest, I'm in and out of her property in 20 minutes during the growing season and 10 in the winter when I just check on the place every other week!

Another customer who I charge $40.00/week for 8k sq ft of turf and I just cut, edge and blow on this account, told me to go up a min $5.00!

It surprises me to have some customers offer to throw out an increase.
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Must be the bad economy LOL, I told my boss at my full time 90mile drive that if gas hits 4.00$ I would be quitting
  3. railman

railman LawnSite Member

that's what I call good, loyal costumer
  4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

She is probably getting a royalty check every month and feels guilty LOL. I am lucky in a way to be doing business in the region I am in. People are making money hand over fist here due to oil and gas. Makes me sick thinking about it. 80% of my customers are into oil and gas one way or another. I have gone up on all of them and I have not heard one peep out of them. I suspect I will be going up again. Seems like every other week it goes up 5cents to 10 cents.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had that happen a bunch of times. The most recent was a customer that I just picked up this year. The third time I cut her lawn she asked me if I thought I was charging enough. I told her the price was fine. The fourth time she raised her own price by 5 bucks and said I was worth it. If you insist lady...:)
  6. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of adding a fuel surcharge right now my. Back just before the first cut of the season I had 3 of my clients call and ask me if I was raising my cost because of gas. I didn't raise or add a fuel surcharge to my clients that I have had for years, but did from the get go for new clients this year. With th cost rasing everyday I have no choice but to now add one to all clients.

Its great to have clients that come to you and ask and don't mind paying more for service. I stop and talk to about half of my cleints every week when I see them, most people on here (LS) say roll in , do your job and get out but I like to talk to my cleints when I can (only takes a min). It really pays off in the end to take time out of your day to say a few words to you clients.......It did for me (Tips, no complaints about higher fees etc).
  7. Twister Turf Man

Twister Turf Man LawnSite Member

They trust you and appreciate you. Go the extra mile for this customer to let them know you appreciate them as well. You don't want to lose their biz.
    I have had similar situations. Congrats on the raise.
  8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel surcharges mid season make for bitter customers. Its much easier to raise your rates to cover projected summer fuel costs in the beginning of the year. This way you lose a few clients and have time to replace them before you actually start. I tried the fuel surcharge a few years ago when it first went to $3 and lost 1 and many complained, but one guy stiffed me for the surcharge cause he didnt agree with it, he got dumped. Now I just build it in to my price for the year using projected fuel cost. So im covered up to $4/gal and in the meantime I make a little extra.