Customer Asking If I have own equipment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by longislandlawn, Apr 23, 2013.

1. longislandlawn

longislandlawn LawnSite Member

A person calls the other day,asking if I rake leaves and if I had a rake and a blower. I was like are you serious. I am a landscaping company with thousands of dollars worth of equipment. This was very insulting. They yes, they want me to come for leaf cleanup estimate, I am not going. What do you think about this.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Do you????

3. lightdutylandscape

lightdutylandscape LawnSite Member

Lighten up dude

4. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

You're not the first person to have been insulted by that question. I've been asked that a couple times myself, and I know how ya feel. Some will say "you may get asked that depending on how present yourself" and so forth, but IMO, some folks are just so accustomed to dealing with every "little Johnny" in the neighborhood who don't own any sort of equipment- they feel the need to double check with everybody that's in the business.

5. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ya I think it happens to all of us at some point, don't take offense....take their money. Its just a simple question imo & I don't think any homeowner has the intention of insulting anyone, like zechstoker said they are just used to the little guy with no equipment. Go get the job!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I get asked if I aerate and dethatch but rake and a blower? Might have been there way of asking if you do clean ups I suppose

7. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Why take offense to that? They have never seen your work or equipment, how should they know. Plus if they want an estimate why not? It could end up to be a weekly lawn.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Just E-mail them an equipment list.

9. yeah don't go, that will show them.

10. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you not go?
    Load up a nice trailer full and go speak with them!
    The only one you will hurt by not responding is yourself.
    Posted via Mobile Device