Customer asks for my social security #

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Feb 23, 2010.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have maintained a lot for a small consruction company for about 4years now. They have never ask for my tax id # or SSN# number until now. They want to put it on their 1099. Why now after all these years?

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

new accountant?

3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

No, same lady that owns the business does the book work. No change on that part

4. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I wouldn't worry about it. You have a Tax ID # for a reason, give it to them. Now if you don't have an ID # then , you might have to give your SSN#. Punt66 might be right about the new accountant. I have someone doing my bookkeeping but, when it comes to do our taxes, it goes to an accountant.
    Have to make sure your giving in to Uncle Sam.:usflag:

5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Same thing happened to me because of auditing. The government is sucking all they can out of us.

6. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Perhaps this is the first year they have given you a 1099?

7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Most likely its for a 1099 for the end of the year
    I had a couple of businesses ask for mine the first year I started with them
    Filled out a W9 for them
    I wouldnt worry about it

8. RCSindiana

RCSindiana LawnSite Member

1099 are supposed to be mailed out no later than Jan. 31

9. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, i am sure its for 2010 tax year.

10. RCSindiana

RCSindiana LawnSite Member

Well like it was said earlier. Just give them what they want. Speaking from past experience:hammerhead: Whatever is deposited in your bank accounts the IRS will count as income if you are ever audited. If you say sell a mower or your mom loans you 1000 bucks. Keep a note or proof of it because they will count it as income and tax you on it during the audit. And make sure you always claim ATLEAST what is turned in against you on 1099's. That is a guaranteed audit. One year I received a 1099 for 745.00 from a company. The IRS however had it down as 74500.00 It took me years to straighten it out and of course it cost me about 5k through the audit.