customer asks to remeasure lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 26, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Did one today. It was originally an easy lawn to treat (about 9000 sq ft) and we used a PG . Now he added a deck, a basketball area, and a whole lot of ornaments in the back yard. Now it's about 7500 sq ft, but it takes twice as long to treat... a deflector shield's holiday.:laugh:

When I left him his new quote, it came out to be the same price. Well.........he called in. Saying his lawn is smaller and could not understand why we did not reduce his price. It's no wonder why my mowing buddies pick & choose their accounts.:hammerhead:

rscvp, thanks
  2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

That's why I never tell a customer that their price is based on square foot. Nor do I tell them what I measured. The majority of the lawns I price I don't even measure. "mmm...ehhh...I'll do it for $X." Then the first application I figure out how big it is by how much product I use. I have yet to underbid myself; I'm usually higher priced than everyone else anyways. It's all good.

"Well i used almost a whole bag of 24-5-11. Guy's lawn by the looks of it is about 12K. I'm getting $100 per app. Not bad"

yeah so that's my story.
  3. americanlawn

from midwest

Good point. Most customers do not realize the "difficulty factor". :usflag:

I sprayed one earlier this hose got caught up 7 or 8 times in the backyard, cuz they had a swimming pool, cheap plastic solar lights, retaining walls, narrow 3 foot stretches of turf, ornamaments, etc, etc. It was a $35 nightmare that I should have charged fifty bucks for.:dizzy:

4. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

then why didn't you? :hammerhead:
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I do charge by the sq ft but always take into account how the lawn is broken up, amount of trees (or other obstacles). If there are a lot of flowers I usually tack on a couple bucks. If they have a large driveway and a bunch of sidewalks it is just that much more I have to spot spray and blow off before I leave. It costs me so I just pass it on to them!
  6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

we always measured as a starting pt and then added for degree of difficulty
    never tell them $ = sq ftage but most assume after seeing measuring being done
    heck once i had a guy with no direct access to back yard he wanted us to throw the hose over the fence and then go through the house (small yards down here in somw areas 3000 sq ft).
  7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If he is a long time, good paying customer I would have just given him $4 -$6 off.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

gotta love people
  9. americanlawn

from midwest

I know I probably should have, but we now treat four of the six lawns on this cul de sac. So in the future, we can do all four lawns at the same time. Also, this was a liquid app (lots of weeds), but from now on, 4 of 5 of her app's will be dry w/spot spraying.......making it much easier to treat. On the other hand, I made a note on the route card to use a "belly spreader" in the backyard, cuz push spreaders will not fit. I should have taken a pic of this "nightmare" to show you guys. She also has a brick patio with bluegrass growing within the bricks by design. BTW she owns her own's a landscape design business. :laugh:

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We get the remeasure or better price question a few times a year also.

The new swimming pool is the most common.

My response, in virtually every case, is that it actually takes us more time to work around the pool. ie: trimming out,blowing off etc.

The same thing happens with extenvise landscaping.