1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer asks you NOT to trim

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

During an estimate yesterday, a customer requested that I not trim his property. He only wants it mowed, and he'll trim and edge himself. I've received this request before, but its usually when a customer wants to save a few bucks. I explained to the customer that trimming is included in the price, and he said thats fine, just don't trim the lawn. He started explaining to me about a fear of gas trimmers that he has, and I thought he was absolutely nuts. I gave him the estimate and i'll be calling back in a few days with a follow-up after he talks it over with his wife. Should I take this job or not? He's on a private lot, but i'm still concerned as i'll be leaving his lawn with a job that's not complete. I don't want to insult the guy for having a fear of gas trimmers, but I care about how others view my work.
  2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like more of a hassle than what it's worth to me.

I would explain to him that you offer " full " service only and wouldn't feel right leaving his property without it being 100% each time you serviced it.

Your image is everything in business and this customer would jeapordize that.

Sometimes walking away is much better than just dealing with a customer like him.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Why not honor his request?
    Its not like you went there and didn't trim, he doesn't want you to. This is a customer driven business. You explained to him and he still said don't trim. Not a problem. You still give him your rate as if you trimmed but you don't have to. He is gonna come up after you are gone and do his part by trimming. The property will look good and thats that.
    If you feel that he is not a customer worth having then you should not have bid the property but you do realize that someone is gonna mow his lawn and not trim, it might as well be you.
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a guy who asks me every year the same thing. I have always said NO . Full service or nothing. I aerate his lawn every fall and sometimes seed. I think I'll tell him yes if he asks this year and just charge him $25 where his neighbors are $27 and $29. I'll bet he gives in by summer . He is a great guy and loves to take care of his yard . I think he realy wants the stripes I leave on his neighbors lawn .
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

generally if someone gives you the " i need to talk it over with the wife/husband" line, then it is a no go. It is a polite way to get out of commiting to you on the spot.
  6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like he may be aproblem in the future. I would let him go. Why is he seeking a new company??
  7. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes true.

Try this line.

Why don't I call your husband or wife and discuss any concerns with them ?

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Screw it. If he wants to do the trimming, let him. What's the big deal?

I have a customer that wants to mow his lawn one week and I do it the following. He travels alot and that is the only means of exercise he gets. That's fine with me...we've been doing it this way for years now. And if he can't do it on the week he's supposed to, he sends me an email.
  9. fazzy815-66

fazzy815-66 LawnSite Senior Member

Let him do it!! You still make the same money I can't gaurentee he will do it but it sounds like he still cares enough about it to do it. I would take it with the intention of checking to see that he does it ,if he doesn't drop him. :)
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Tell him, sure, but the price is the price you were quoted.You still have to show up every week,don't you? I have several accounts that we hate to trim. It would be nice to just mow,blow and go...come to think of it, maybe give him a teeny break...lol :D