1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer - barrow mower

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by BillyRgn, May 30, 2008.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

OK so i am out in front of my house changing a light on my dump truck, and a car pulls up, and the guy probably about 28 years old asks, "Do you do landscaping ??? "so i reply yes (not to mention there was 3 trucks and a trailer full of mowers with landscaping written all over it in the street), and he says he just moved in a couple houses up from mine and has not purchased a mower yet and how much would i charge to cut his grass? so i tell him thirty bucks. he then kinda mumbles thirty bucks, and then says, "Can i barrow one of your mowers for a half hour, forty five minutes? i look at him, totally surprised and say NO !! he then had a look on his face, wondering why so i then say, i don't let anyone barrow my mowers, they are ten grand a piece. he then replies, O there that much, well i guess it was worth a try and then drove away. has anyone ever had this happen to them, i am not talking about a close friend or family member asking a favor, i have never seen or talked to this guy in my life. the cheap bast**d would not pay me thirty bucks to cut is lawn, but i am supposed to let him borrow my machine that i use to put food in my mouth. i am just having trouble getting over this, i am just totally amazed as to how cheap and can't believe that someone would ask me that. whats he going to do,?? burn all my gas up, and probably ruin the blades or something, and then hand it back to me and maybe say thank you?? i mean first he asks for a price, and then asks to borrow the mower. i mean it might have made a little more sense, if he asked to borrow the mower first and i said no, and then asking for a price. but even still i can't believe it, my business is landscaping, i am not a rental company, but even still, this guy was looking free-be, so i am guessing he probably would not even pay to rent a mower.
  2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

You should have said "How about I cut it and give you $30 bucks"
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The nerve of some people!
  4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

This would anger me but if you wanted to be a Bbuster you could have said
    sure you can borrow it
    it will be 25/hr
    +30 for blades
    +30 for gas
    +30 for wear
    so for ~105 you can use it, how does that sound?
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

just part of the job.we come into contact with a lot of people and a large percentage will be strange and want and do the strangest things.this guy probably does this all the time and if he wasn't successful some of the times,he wouldn't do it.
  6. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Now thats some crazy stuff I have never seen anything like that before.
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you should have just stopped what you were doing and said sure, no problem and started unloading!

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i had some old lady that i had for a few years ask me about trimming her shrubs, i gave her a price she said she couldnt afford it. well a couple days later she calls and asked if she could barrow my hedge trimmers when i told her no she told me that she would no longer need my service because i wouldnt let her use me equipment.
  9. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

that's a first
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm really enjoying reading this thread.

But I'm not surprised at some people's redicuolous requests these days. :hammerhead: