customer burnt his yard

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnmowerman29, Apr 18, 2003.

1. lawnmowerman29

lawnmowerman29 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

A guy stopped me the other day and wanted me to look at his yard. He put down a fall fert. last fall with the neighbors drop spreader and he burnt his yard. I took a soil sample and the results said to do nothing. Now i may not have a college degree in the soil sciences, but if the yard has too much p & k dont i need to calm it down with lime? It is only about 2,000 sq ft. and the grass is dead, i dont want to over seed when the soil is too hot. Any suggestions?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If the soil test is telling you to add nothing, then dont. More than likely, all the nutrients have washed through already, although the damage is already done. It sounds like it is time to start from scratch with new seed.

3. lawnmowerman29

from Iowa

Should i just overseed or rip the whole thing up and start new? It is only about 2,000 sq ft.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, work it up, of course, so you bury the seed and have good soil contact. You can't just throw the sed out there, if that's what you meant. I would also perhaps recommend a starter fert. with very LOW N. No wait a minute, as I think of it, maybe I wouldn't. If this fert. was put on that heavy, while the Nitrogen may be pretty well gone at this time, there may very well be plenty of Phos. left as it's much slower to leach.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Runner,

Good call on the Phosphorous.

Lawnmower, Although the soil test results said to DO nothing, you didn't say what the soil test levels were. I am sure the soil test indicates something more than nothing. It is possible to have salt toxicity due to high levels of K or N, and adjusting the pH will do nothing much to change the issue. What did the soil test say to do with the pH? What was the pH? What kind of soil is it? How deep did you sample? Does he know what he put down? At what rate? When? Can you deep irrigate to flush the salts through the soil profile? What was the weather like this winter and spring, rainfall and temp wise?

It is POSSIBLE that working the soil to a deeper depth could incorporate and dilute the fertilizer, but if you have an accumulation in the lower four inches, you could just turn up a problem and make it worse.

It is also possible that you can work the soil, seed, and have a nice stand of grass, of course, it is possible that I can drive from here to Ohio at 90 mph and not get a ticket.....

If you can answer some of the questions I posed above, I might be able to help you, also look for replies by TIMTURF and RIC to name a few who should be able to help you.

EG

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

runner, if he put a "fall" app. in, they are generally low on "p" then again who knows what he put in. hmmm, sure would be nice to see that soil test.

7. lawnmowerman29

from Iowa

the ppmP was 34, the ppmK was 256 pH was 7.6
    have no idea what he put down, just know it was last fall, we had some late snow in jan, feb, march, and wven a little in april.
    we are still in a drought. he did water it in really well he said the day after it started to turn brown. I took the sample about 3" down. It is a reall good looking topsoil. I have a ryan overseeder i could use, but maybee i should just rip up the soil and start new?

8. do another soil test and MAKE SURE YOU TEST FOR SODIUM, this isn't usually included in a basic soil test.

Suprise they didn't recommend sulfer to lower ph.

suspect sodium is high, and gypsum will lower it, without effecting ph.

In Ill, soil and WATER PH are high, so a lot of turf grown with a ph of 7.5. In fact, we would apply maximum of sulfer to bent greens and see no change do to high ph of water.
    DO ANOTHER soil test asking for sodium Na to be included.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If you "rip" the soil, be prepared for weeds. I would go with the Ryan 28, that's what you're talking about right? It's kind of a catch 22. If you're concerned, you could turn the soil and worry about the weeds after you get some mature grass.