Customer BUSTED!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 16, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

A friend of mine and I happen to be bidding on the same property, I do the usual walk around w/customer said it will be X amount to mow, trim, edge and clean up. This lady tells me "Oh my, I only paid 25.00 last year" the usual b.s. Long story short she calls him back and says "I got a quote from another service (mine) and he's only charging me 20.00 can you do it for that?" There was a clean up and new mulch and removal of a few shrubs etc. She told the other guy, "his price,(again mine) was thousands". WTF it amazes me how low a person will stoop and outright lie, my God its grass lady not your first born. My God lady get some PRIDE! Well again long story short...he calls her back and calls her on it, I would love to have the look on her face when she knew she was busted.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It is amazing, it used to astound me, the word is at least half of all potential customers are like that.
    Yes, I'm serious, if not at least half then a good half, dime a dozen they come like that, it is sad.
    But good customers are out there, unfortunately also to my amazement, they are far and few in between, but exist they do.

As a rule I turn down around 9 out of 10 calls for various reasons, while I dare say dishonesty (trickery, deceit, whatever) likely takes one of the biggest chunks for reasons why. I would say, for starters, it wouldn't hurt to close no more than half of all calls, then as you move on you can get picky if you like, or not, your choice.

Hence, some of us cherry pick, I think we all do it but to different degrees, I'm pretty picky anymore, just have to be careful, too picky = no customers, heh.

Good luck.

3. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Haha....people are dumb!

4. desii

desii LawnSite Member

You guys should've turned the tables on her and said "The other guys cheaper? Well, maybe you should go with him then". I'm sure she would've found someone else to play, but it does stink.

5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Those are the people that keep us lowballers in business. lol
    What a jerk.

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I do the exact same thing. I give them a price say 45 dollars and I get well the guy last year was doing it for 30 dollars. I say then why isn't he mowing your lawn now? Always get that look like a deer in headlights..lol.

7. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

It would have been funny for your friend to say " Ma'am Id like to come and re estimate the job if thats ok?" And both of you go to the job and ACTUALLY see the look on her face. That would be funny.

8. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You must have some crappy people in your area if you turn down 90% of the calls that come through you. You were being sarcastic right?

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have gotten one new customer out of the last 10 estimates I have done. All were lawns in the $30-40 dollar range. Same crap........I always tell them that they had better get last years guy back.....smile and leave. I have started asking over the phone if they had a previous service price they were looking to match. If so.....I have told them that I would be happy to do the estimate but I do not price match.....Then let them decide if they still want the estimate....

D

10. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

another question you can ask is is this a secondary bid or a first