1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer call

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, May 31, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Guy calls me to tell me we killed a section of lawn 2ft wide along his side yard and i need to re seed. I had done round one 5 weeks ago, i did his tick control app, and spot treated some weeds while i was there 2 weeks ago.

I went right over wondering if i mixed my back pack too hot.

As i walk up the walk i noticed dead foot prints and dead weeds on the brick walk. Then i noticed dead grass around the side where the garden hose was.

I took some pics and the Mrs came out, i said when did your husband spray roundup? Oh last week. Thanks

I call him back telling him how his wife told me he was spraying roundup, and how a little goes a long way etc.

Really pisses me off all that time out of my day for no pay, his accusatory way and it was all his fault.

You uys run into stuff like this?

Oh yeah watching Fantastic Four Silver Sulfer-Jessica Alba-quite possibly the hottest woman ever!!!!
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You're not the only one who's been through that. I'd venture to say that anyone who's been in this business for any amount of time has. It really stinks, but I see it as an unfortunate part of this business. Just like an occasional customer wanting to stiff you for payment.

I love the way you shifted gears at the end of your post. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. You just might have A.D.D. almost as bad as I do. Maybe... :laugh:
  3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

My customers are told from day one that they are expected to put 3 things on the lawn..1. Water, 2. A lawn mower, 3. Their feet. If I suspect they are putting ANYTHING else on the lawn their guarantee (and possibly their entire service) is voided. No exceptions. That is the only way I will accept responsibility for their turf and have far fewer problems from homeowners doing additional stuff. I've even taken products from customers that they had no idea what it was or what it did for disposal.
    As far as the Jessica Alba remark I have to respectfully disagree...I've been watching the food channel alot lately and Giada Delaurentis has me hooked...I think she cooks food or something...Love watching her chop carrots,celery etc..it makes me drool.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hate when that happens, the drool, I mean--but also I had a customer quit. Later found out she had big brown spots. They were out of town for spring break, but it, "Happened right after I was there!" (with Dimension crabgrass control granular, 13-0-6). A careful look and you could pretty much see where someone had stood with a hand sprayer with Roundup. He was right handed, nailed it good on the right, and then swept the wand to the left. And then back. And she was sure the spot was "growing", getting bigger every day.

Looked like vandalism to me. And the next door neighbor had just killed his lawn with Roundup and reseeded two weeks ago. Maybe he left sprayer lying around.
  5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We get it too, everybody does.

They just blame the mower guys and if it wasnt them it must of been the chemical guy....I mean who else could it be? Surely not them.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Every time I get calls about questions like this there's ALWAYS a set of footprints back to the house/garage/patio!! I think it's so funny that they can't put two and two together.
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

hell i had an applicator that sprayed the mulch at a property and walked right out of the mulch, thru the grass, thru the day lilly's, over the grass (again) to the side walk, over the grass to the truck and the deadest (is that a word?) grass foot prints thru it ALL, and still said it couldn't be him... if i would have looked close enough, i probly could have got the name on the bottom of the boots burned into the grass.
  8. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

I'm going thru this right now. I did a granular dimension on April 28th( due to snow we couldn't star untill April 10th) Guy calls last week and says I burnt his lawn. I go out to have a look and find a 50 foot by two foot dead streak oppisite the way I went with my permagreen. After looking at all his nicely sprayed edges around his beds and his shed in back I think he left his sprayer on as he walked back to his garage. I also did his 4 neighbors next door and they have no damage.Told him all of this and he thought I was the most full of it person on earth. Gotta love people. I even took pictures of the damage and his nice edging job he did with round up.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You know what happens when you walk on green grass in the fall or early spring, right before the sun comes up and there's FROST on the ground??? Yeah, guess who gets blames for the brown foot prints! Yeah, like I'm there at 5:00 am in the cold... I wonder who is... Humm, the NEWSPAPER DELIVERY GUY. But no, this is "obviously a chemical burn, and you are the one that applys the chemicals"

I just love ignorant people!
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

You should just explain how you have special stencils to make out footprints. Say you were inspired when you saw a bigfoot documentary.