Customer called and complained, this is good

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, Dec 20, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

So I get a call today from one of my customers...or ex-customers. This lady has been a pain in my side since probably mid season. She called me because she didn't like her current guy. At first it was great, she got me a couple of customers on her street by referral. Then mid season she turned.

Started complaining because I never gave her the discount from referral and that I wasn't cutting the grass...I was riding over it and making it look like I did something. So I send her a page long note saying how I had explained to her that I gave her the discount towards her mulch job, and it was actually a few dollars more then it should of been but I'd gladly charge her for the difference if she wanted. Then I explained all about mowing height and how she was probably watching me double cut it so it looked like I wasn't cutting anything.

Ok didn't her a complaint for a few months. Fall comes, I put on her invoice that we're going to be just mulching the leaves as long as possible and then in November we would start to haul them away and do a final cleanup. Didn't hear anything.

Ok now for the phone call! This is long, but its good!

"Kurt, I want to know why you charged me only 25 dollars in november for the leaf work, and then it went up to 40 in November."
    Response: "Because Ma'am in October I just double cut the property and charged accordingly. In november we have to use the blowers/vac and the price per houre increases due to more machines being used"

Ok that made sense to her so now find another...

"Well I never had to pay more then 40 dollars even when I had a huge tree in my back yard, now I dont have any tree's back there and you charged alot more"
    Response: Did you notice all the neighbors very large mature tree's? With all the heavy winds we had this year all the neighbors leaves fell in your yard. You really should talk to them next year and make them clean em up if you have a problem with them falling in your yard" :rolleyes:

Again, ok that made sense find something else...
    "well I never said to do the leaves" (Now i'm just having fun)
    "Ma'am, on your Sept. invoice that we would be doing the leaves there and a final cleanup in November, didn't you get this? You should of protested it, further more ma'am, if you wanted me to continue mowing but not do the leaves....was I supposed to cut under the leaves and leave them there for someone else to clean them up?"

(she actually agree's with me on that one, said she didn't think to say she didn't want them done! BUT she must still find something to not pay this bill so it goes on! )

Next one is "Well your charging way too much, I know alot of people and they all said your prices are too high"
    Response, "Ma'm my prices were discounted for my regular customers, I know alot of other companies with similar equipment getting $60 per man hour, some with better equipment get up to $90 a man hour, I was doing you a favor working at $40 an hour"
    her response "well theres still alot others that are cheaper" (this made me mad at all the idiots that do it illegally)

I say "Ok, next year if you want to pay 10 or 15 dollars an hour go find a guy that has no insurance, isn't registered with the state of Ohio, and let him do it, but when he gets hurt and sues you, or he damages your house and he dissapears and now your home owners won't pay for it, you'll be sorry that you didn't spend the extra money to get a reliable legitamit company"

At this point I'm laughing to myself that shes trying to find something to not have to pay. So finally she comes up with "you charged me 7% instead of 6.5% for tax" lmao, I used the saying I've seen from the site here and stumped her "Ma'am I don't charge tax, I just collect it, and sorry about that it must of been a typo, go ahead and change it if you want" difference is all of about 10 cents I think.

So she grumbles and says fine I'll pay, but I don't want you back next year "Wouldn't have it any other way ma'am, bye now"

lmao, its been this way ever since she started being a pain, she would make stupid allegations and then I'd prove her wrong and she goes away. At least now she's going away for good. And I actually feel good about not having her as a customer now. I should of told her she's late on her payment and owes me $15 late fee :laugh: :laugh:

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, thats really good, and you handled the situation perfectly. I have a feeling im going to have a few calls like this in the very near future. Good job!

3. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

So she grumbles and says fine I'll pay, but I don't want you back next year "Wouldn't have it any other way ma'am, bye now"

This is gold .Bugger off put eloquently love it.

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Get her the hookup with a Fuit Basket when she pays up:rolleyes:

5. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

gotta love losing ones like that.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good riddance ,That type of account you win,by losing lol.

7. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, you handled it well...

And you did the tright thing. These people are out there....

I consider them as stepping stones, working your way up and gaining experience. When you notice that you don't need them, you are ready to move on up.

Just don't get carried away and cop the "I am too good for anything" attitude. There is always some crap to deal with, just make sure it is worth it.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like one of those people who are never happy with anything. Good thing she's gone.

9. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like shes got to much time on her hands. Is she a retiree? Or just a typical pain in the rear? Either way you handled this very professionaly and it sounds like you're better off without her as a customer. Who like dealing with stupid B.S. on a weekly basis from the same nagging people?:cool:

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea she's elderly. Still spry enough to start stuff with me each month though :D

I love getting calls like this because the people walk away thinking they were in the right for their actions. When really they're very wrong, so I like to smack all their alegations down when they throw them at me. Oh well, at least I know I'm finally getting my money haha.