Customer calls says (few dead patches)Pics included

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jt5019, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

So i get this call Yesterday (a new customer) he says he had his fert company over to look at some dead patches in his lawn. They tell him the patches need to be dethatched and reseeded and they dont do that, so he calls me. I tell him "ok just a few small patches ill come check it out and get started on a estimate."

Welllll here is a "few patches"

The first picture is the front yard (not to bad)

Picture 108.jpg

2. jt5019

Now on to the back

Picture 103.jpg

3. jt5019

Another shot

Picture 104.jpg

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

A few patches of green i would say...

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

has the fert company applied anything to this lawn yet this year? that is an important question, which will determine what can be done with this yard.

6. jt5019

That is a pretty big patch if you ask me..... He told me he had Tru Green doing his lawn for a while then last year he did by himself.This year he was having a local fert company come out (who i haven't heard anything bad about) He did say he saw grubs last season but i dug in a few spots and didn't see anything.

Also way in the back near the shed the lawn has a pretty thick layer of wet nasty leaves he never cleaned up.

How would you go about fixing this? Would a simple Dethatching and grass seed work?

Do you think hes not telling me something? I have never seen a patch of dead grass that big for no real reason. He's blaming it on the hot dry summer we had last year.

And last.. (the how much should i question) i don't want to underbid this how would you go about charging for it?.

7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

from the second pic it looks like it slopes downward to the shed, I also noticed the neighbors lawns in the back are the same, could this be some sort of snow mold, due to the pitch downward?

8. jt5019

As far as i know the fert company has done nothing this year because they know it needs to be reseeded. Yes there is a slight slope towards the shed also the neighbor on the right does have the same patches. The house on the left just has a couple very small spots.

9. jt5019

1 more from the house looking back

Picture 105.jpg

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

that is the remains of last years fungus. it was a biggie last year