1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

customer call's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BLKSS, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

customer calls today and says "are your blades sharp" i said yea they should be i just replaced it about a month and a half ago. he then says b/c the cut looked a little rough. I use a comm. toro 21 inch is there anything that could be causing this? the only thing i could think off is i never bag but this last time i had to b/c we had a storm and a bunch of leaves had to be picked up. what do yall think?

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

You gave sharpened those blades in the last month and half I assume? Mine get sharpened every day or they will start leaving a rough looking cut, sometime I have had to replace/sharpen by lunch if cutting bahai.

3. Yuanding

Yuanding LawnSite Member
    from England

Ask customer to specify what he means by "a bit rough". Does he mean the ends of the blades of grass look torn rather than cut cleanly, or does he mean there is debris on the lawn, or does he mean the cut is not even and consistent? No mower will cut a blade of grass as cleanly as a pair of scissors.
    I would suggest that unless there is something seriously wrong with your mower (e.g bent crankshaft) it may be that the blades of grass are coarser than usual and so you notice the ragged ends more. Also don't forget that some customers can get bees in their bonnet and accuse you of all sorts of things. They only need to feel a vague resentment about giving you money to cut the grass (and who DOES like paying for things?), to cause them to want to make YOU feel bad about the quality of your work.

4. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

yuanding thats true the customer does own a vending machine company

5. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

How many lawns do you cut per week???
    10 lawns is about all I will cut before I sharpen my blades.
    That's what i'm thinking.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I find it amazing that you didn't notice it before you left the proptery.

the co. that I run is NOT for everyone, we bend down and try to get eye level with the truff to check that we didn't leave any stragglers,

Of corse were VERY expensive.

I find it hard to belive that you would leave a blade on a mower for that ammount of time. we replace ours at 3 weeks, the longest I have ever ran a blade is 1 month.

7. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have that many accounts this year and I still notice when my blade needs changed. Takes about 1 to 2 weeks and it gets changed.

I am not anal about it but it sure makes my life easier when I have a sharp blade on the toro.

8. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Hell I'm a home owner and I sharpen my blades about every month or so.

9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen my blades twice a month.

10. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

maybe i just have a lot of work.