Customer Check has Company Name Wrong?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Darryl G, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Does anybody know if it's a problem for the bank if a customer gets your company name wrong on a check? They will often write it to lawn service instead of lawn care or something but this one is totally f'd up. I know that for personal checks you're supposed to sign it as it is on the check incorrectly and then sign under it correctly. One of my customers must have been writing a batch of checks and off in La-La Land. They wrote it out to Gesner Oil Company. Last I knew I don't own an oil company, and if I did I don't think I'd be mowing lawns, lol. Also sometimes they're write it out to me personally but I deposit it in the business account anyway. Anyone know the protocol on this? It might vary bank-to-bank. I'm with Bank of America.

2. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

I'd just explain to the customer the mistake, give them the benefit of doubt. and ask them to rewrite the check, as you can not accept it as a form of payment

3. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Sound advise, mistakes do happen.
    easy-lift guy

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Take it to the bank...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Darryl G

Actually on my way to the bank now. I'll point it out to them and let them decide. I'm bringing my self addressed payment envelope and a copy of my invoice along as well. The bank knows me well, been doing businesses with them for 30 years, but ultimately it comes down to their proof department.

6. Darryl G

Head teller said it was OK.

7. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Happens all the time with us. I don't even say anything anymore just deposit them. Never had one returned or questioned.

8. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Mine doesn't care. I've had my full company name, them Jims lawn service and Jims lawn care. Still went through. Only time is if you have board of member need to endorse a check and one forgets or something like that its a problem
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Send her on thru. Bury it in the stack of checks when you take to the bank.

10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I've had that happen a few times over the years. I just endorse them as they are made out and deposit...never had a problem.