1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer Check has Company Name Wrong?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Darryl G, Oct 12, 2012.

1. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Like everyone else said "sender on through". I've never had a problem either. And they have called me everything on the check.
  2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've had them made out wrong before but Oil Company? Too bad they didn't send me the amount they were sending to the oil company by mistake :(
  3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

That would likley cause a problem....lol
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I'm surprised they took it. That was enough of a different name that most banks probably would have made you get the customer to re-write it. I guess if it wasn't too much money maybe they consider it a small risk.

In a related story.....We just landed a huge landscape installation job. To the tune of $230,000. Got a check yesterday for $75,000 down. I got home and was about to go to the bank when I realized that the check was written wrong. In the numbers area, it said 75,000. But in the written area, the client accidentally wrote "Seventy Five Dollars". That sucked.

It all turned out good. Customer re-wrote the check this morning. But talk about a big mistake! Gotta watch those checks! LOL.
  5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't the banks go by the written area? Good thing you caught it.
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Good to see you posting Jim! That is a pretty huge install. Congratulations!!

You probably know that the written area is what takes priority because it's really easy to alter the numbers. The amount of my check was small, $85.08, and I brought a copy of my invoice that matched the invoice number written in the memo portion of the check. I think that because it said "Gesner" on it that was good enough for them. I'm sure it helps that they know me well there too. I've had a personal accounts there longer than any of the employees have been working there and I've had my business account there since 2002.
  7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I've had a few right the wrong name but have the right amount. I've grown to "check" (pun intended) the checks. LOL
  8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Years ago naming a payee on a check was like tossing hand grenades and horse shoes. Close enough was good enough. Now some banks are getting to be picky.
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. They do. That would have sucked had I deposited it. Then a few days later my account had a decrease of $74,925.00. I would have been a little ticked. So yah, I'm glad I caught it first.

Thanks! Yah, our biggest ever. Should be amazing when we are finished. I can't wait.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I get all sorts of variations. The yard guy, the lawn guy, the lawn boy, the yard man, lawn man, grass man. I get very few checks anymore since I started accepting credit cards.