Customer Claims Mulch Flooded His House

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Patriots, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Last night in north Texas we got on average 7 - 10 inches of rain. Received an email from a customer who's home was flooded during the monsoon, he claims that we pilled mulch up too high causing his house to flood. Crew supervisor claims that no more than a 1 inch hardwood top dressing was put on his beds more than two months ago. His beds are higher in the middle, nothing we did, - which caused the water to pool and thus flooding his house.

First, has anyone else ever gotten a complaint that mulch caused a house to flood - and secondly is it even possible? Am I wrong in thinking that water will run right threw mulch into the soil - and not actually hold any water.

Thanks.

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would drive over and take some pictures of the situation for your evidence, then let a judge decide if you are guilty of gross neglegence. I bet u win

3. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

That is most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of !

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

It is possible especially if you had a crown of mulch in the beds of your making.

5. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Koo -

I would agree, if we made the beds - and the bed crown, all we did was put an inch of top dressing on it. Also the house is at least 10 years old, the way we figured it was that the bed had drain lines - or was a non-issue.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

first call your insurance company. Let them handle the problem. The insurance has lawyers for this kind of stuff. You pay for their services..Let them fight the battle for you.

7. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Good point Marc - but I'll wait for the customer to come to his senses first. If in a day or two he is still screaming I will contact my carrier.

Thanks.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Take pics. and document everything that way if it comes to that. you have everything ready for the insurance folks. I would imagine they are screaming at you since they don't have flood insurance and their Homeowners policy is denying their claim to them. So they Homeowner is going after the next deep pocket.

9. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

Im sure alot of homes flooded with 7-10 inches of rain..They just want to put the blaim on someone so they can sue. Take pictures and just contact your carrier to let them know whats going on.

10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like it isn't the mulch, but the soil underneath. It also sounds like you missed out on some money by not fixing the problem before putting the mulch down. Oh well, either way, the flooding had nothing to do with the mulch.