Customer Complained!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JasonPC, Mar 10, 2000.

1. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Hi, guys. Well, one of our customers just called us and complained about the height which we cut at. Generally we set our mowers to cut at 2.5". She says when we come it doesn't look like the lawn has been mowed and she wants it much shorter this year. First of all, that would be cutting into the roots if we cut at 2". Second of all, it takes forever to adjust the height of the blades. So it adds an extra 10 minutes onto the job. What's your advice? I told her that I don't advise cutting the lawn that short, but if that's what she wants, then we'll do it. any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Jason, Just cut the yard lower. On my lazor I can cut at 1/1/2" and the yards look great.Do what the customer wants

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

You mow at the height recommended by your regeional university. Tell your customer that you follow professional guidelines, and you not willing deviate far from recommended guidelines on mowing or anything else.

4. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

The only problem is that if I cut at 2" it cuts into the lawn's root system. That will eventually cause burning of the lawn. It'll look like sh**! But she's worth about $1000 to me per season.

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to mow it at 2", take a couple of weeks to incrimentally get it down there. Of course the lawn CAN look nice at 2", but it will require more watering, also.

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, I also &quot;HAD&quot; a customer that wanted me to cut a St. Augustine lower than the recommened height. I refused to do it due to the fact it would look like hell, and in the long run would ruin the lawn. She was also one of my better paying customers.<p>One reason I quit was if the lawn looked like hell, I would be the one blamed for it. Which can cause loss of future lawns in the area. There are always other customers. Just a thought.

7. Charles

You didn't say what type of grass it is. Alot of my customers want their centipeede and crabgrass mix cut at 1-1/2&quot;. At the most 2. Anything more than that doesn't looked cut. When it gets real hot I move it up to 2 on the centipeed. Fescue I cut at 2&quot;+. But I recommend , I don't ever argue with my customers. It's their yard not yours.

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Mow at the recommended heights but show the client where you get your information.<br>Educate her on the points that a short lawn is not a healthy lawn. They have more weeds require more fertilizer, are less drought resistant. ect you know what to tell her. <br>Are you willing to replace her lawn when this summers drought kills it? Are you willing to loose that million dollar account when the owner of who knows what drives by. <br>Unfortinantly the people driving by dont know that you were requested to cut it shorter they just see a bad looking lawn AND YOU mowing it!

9. Charles

oh yea like u r going to educate a hard of hearing 80 year old woman in the south :) Good luck buddy. She eduscate you by the seat of the pants

10. JasonPC

JasonPC LawnSite Member

Her grass is a mixture of ryes, fine fescues, and some bluegrass. This customer is on a very limited budget. She is an old woman that we've been servicing for 2 years. She never takes care of her lawn. never waters it. not a thing. but expects it to look great for $35 a mow twice a month. Of course it doesn't look mowed with only 2 mowings a month. She can't afford 4.