Customer Complaining About Job

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by longislandlawn, Oct 25, 2012.

1. longislandlawn

longislandlawn LawnSite Member

Yesterday I expanded a flower bed 3ft around the entire bed, the customer was very happy with job , even gave a tip. They even wanted estimates for other things on the property. Today they called up and said that they stared at it for hours after I left and was not right to them. They said they had to go out and fix the entire job. These people are very hot and cold if one minute they liked it and the next they didn't. What would you guys do in this situation.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Some customers are better than others. If you can collect any monies owed to you for the work you have done do so and put this job behind you. I suspect these folks will never be happy with any thing you can do or suggest in the present or future. Move forward.
    easy-lift guy

3. LazerCutLawnCare

LazerCutLawnCare LawnSite Member

I agree, these are the customers that are always a headache.

4. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

Did you already get paid for the job? There are always a few PITA customers out there. If you haven't been paid tell them that you wish they would have said something to you so that you could fix it for them. That you were under the impression when you left they were very happy with your work. Don't offer a discount. That's probably the next thing they are going to want.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

What did they not like?

What did they have to fix?

You mentioned a tip so I assume you got paid.

What was your response to them?

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similar situation early August. Did a job for this lady, she emailed said her and her husband walked the property and were so happy after everything we had done. A couple days later she sees the bill and starts complaining about everything we did. What I suggest you do is ask her what she wants done...probably a price discount. I know you probably don't want to take less money than the job was worth, but if you don't do that (or whatever she wants) she could easily bad mouth you. The thing that stinks about that is you're not in the wrong, but you'll most definitely appear that way in the prospective customers eyes if this lady goes talking.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

its called buyers remorse, they are pissed that you didn't break your back for days on end slaving away. take the $$$ and run

8. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a guy a know that does locksmithing on the side. He got a call for keys locked in a car at a restaurant. He shows up with Slim Jim in hand and tells the guy it's $50. The guys says fine, just unlock the door. He slips the Slim Jim in the door and has it open in 5 seconds. The guy complains that it only took 5 seconds and wasn't worth $50, so my friend locks the door back and tells the guy to call someone cheaper. Of course, he pays up and goes on his way after having him unlock it a 2nd time.

I guess some people don't realize they are paying you to do a task they either aren't willing, able, or have the equipment/skills to do when they pay you to work.

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

No Joke.
    I did a small flat rock garden wall (2 pallets) and 2 yards of topsoil installed, some transplanting etc. $1600. did it on a handshake since it was so small. I was done before the guy was home from work so I came back when he got home. 2 neighbors were out there admiring, they all said great job. Homeowner sent his wife pics on the iphone, she wants it 1" higher or shes not paying. SHES LOOKING ON A 3" SCREEN!!! I said give me cash now(in a nice way) got $1200 and said good riddance. this is why I do thirds or half and half. some people just want you to jump through hoops for your money like a circus trick