Customer complaining about price...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Scag52inch, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

did small landscape job for guy and also a backyard cleanup. Cleanup took me three hours and i charged him $200. He was fine with that. The landscape project consisted of making oval shaped 8' by 10' bed , planting , then mulching. I dug out the sod , hard ground and pain in the as$, planted , even bigger pain in the as$, then mulched. Oh yeah I tilled in topsoil as well.
    I charged him only $450 for the bed and he was irate. He never asked for estimate. Materials cost me $112. 9 hours myself and had help for three of those hours. What should I tell the guy. I hate to make a bad name for myself its a nice neighborhood! I understand the bed is small but 9 hours is 9 hours. Does my bill seem right?
  2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Should have been about 650-700 IMO.
  3. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

grass wacker what is IMO? and i think between 400-500 would have been my guestimate.
  4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

In My Opinion.
  5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have the attitude that, if they dont like my price, then I ask them , what do you think is fair? Putting the burden on them sometimes also puts the perspective of the job on them (empathy), and the price they think is fair, is often close enough for you both to be happy. This is always a good first try at arbitration without blood pressures rising.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I know this does not help you.....but I never do work without an agreed upon estimate........

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Lol! So you let the customer name their price? Hey, that's a great idea.

And as already said, the price should have been discussed before hand. And if you couldn't give a price because you didn't know how long it would take, then an estimate, or your hourly rate should have been given.
    The customer has the right to at least have some idea how much it's going to cost.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to have a contract. On every contract there should be a second page that lists the billing rates when things are done outside of the contract. The contract should have similar wording to "If it is not listed in the contract, it is an extra and will be billed as such". That way no one is renegotiating when you find the buried Volkswagon when you go to plant a tree. It is extra and you bill for it rather than eating it.
  9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you have more than 9 hrs. you have 12 hrs in the job... you said you had help for 3 hrs...

sounds like an unfair price to me....

unfair to you...
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

There need to be a place on this forum before you can become a member that you need to prove that you KNOW and USE a contract.