Customer Complaining About Weeds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by landscapetastic, Jun 20, 2012.

1. landscapetastic

landscapetastic LawnSite Member
    from ny

Well I did mulch for a customer last week. The beds were prepared first, with weeding and weed killer. Today the customer complains that there are small weeds coming through the mulch. Well I said I did my best that I could. And the rest is nature. I never said that I could back everything I do to prevent
    weeds 100%. The customer says how dare you blame nature. She says that I need to weed again. I said that you refused to put down the paper, which actually I had seen results with in other jobs.

What do you guys do in this sitution.?
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would apologize and do it correctly... paper under mulch is just wrong and having weeds appear w/in a week is just negligence... good luck... :)
  3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I spray a week before, let everything die before you pull it
  4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree and I would go spot spray now. When giving a price to do bed weeding, I alway figure in a couple trips back to spray or pick again.
  5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

pre-emergent; no bitching about weeds for 4-6 months. Go spot spray her weeds.
  6. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Yes how long did you wait after you weeded before you put the mulch down to make sure the weeds gone?

And where did you get that mulch from?

The town I live in and the next town over have a yard waste recycling program. Give out free mulch and compost. I have only gone to my towns WR center for a small amount. Word is that the town/workers/or both shortcut their process and you tend to get weeds.
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Same question I had. Is this quality mulch or Crap Double Grind from the city? If it's the latter you screwed up big time.:usflag:
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Apparently you guys have never run into marestail? Canadian thistle?

Spraying and letting it sit for a week will do nothing. Pre-emergent will not do anything.

What is this paper you speak of? Weed barrier?
  9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I did not know that the weeds coming up thru the mulch were Marestail? or Canadian thistle?. I believe the paper was referring to weed barrier material.
    easy-lift guy
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if they were. I was using 2 examples of weeds that can be sprayed, allowed to die, mulched and will come back.

In addition, an application of Snapshot or Preen will not come close to preventing their return.