Customer Complaining About Weeds

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by landscapetastic, Jun 20, 2012.

1. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Mark, Other than digging out by shovel, what means of control is there for this type of material?
    easy-lift guy

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The idea of anything coming back in a week means that there were too many shortcuts involved...

another example is quackgrass... if that stuff isn't killed off completely, down to the last rhizome... it is networked throughout all the fresh mulch before you can say, "Business Killer"...

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Let me clarify, the marestail or horsetail I am referring to is equisetum arvense for which there is little to no real control except multiple applications of herbicides. Casoron\Dyclomec\Barrier will work if applied heavily, but if there are non-woody plants present, this pre-m is out the window.

Glyphosate with 2,4D?

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Not to change the subject guys but its along the same topic here.

I put the landscaping paper down under my mulchbed I did a couple years back, against some of you guys advice then not to.

It's worked out pretty well but never did understand why not?

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Paper or fabric does nothing for the seeds that naturally blow in and land on the mulch. Post when it goes down and a pre on the mulch. Same idea for rocks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

canadian thistle is not a problem here. Marestail can be controlled with Atrazine; best applied when just sprouting. Repeat application necesary as they emerge... don't let them go to seed!

7. Patriot Services

Maybe I missed something. Where did the OP state he had Horseazz anything growing?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Dunno... Oomke brought it up.

9. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Put some Preen down and forget it, the best stuff out there.

10. Patriot Services

Pro's with a license use Snapshot or other pro label product. Preen is homeowner pre~em and does nothing for a weed that has already germinated.
    Posted via Mobile Device