Customer complains about due date

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 17, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

So I changed my terms around this year to a due date of 15 days from the time the invoice is dropped off or delivered. It clearly states that on the bottom of the invoice when it is due and what the consequences are if late.

Today I got a check in the mail with a little note that read:

"John, 15 days is not enough time. 30 days is more fair and equitable"

Are you f'in kidding me?

Did she tell that to her home lender?
    Her credit cards?
    Her auto lender?

Does she go and buy groceries and leave an IOU or postdate the check?

I called her and politely explained to her that if it was 30 days I would essentially be waiting 60 days to get paid from the first mow of the month. I asked her how many other companies provide her a service and then wait 60 days to get paid?

All I got was a:

"I guess it's your company so you can run it however you want"...

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Do as I do.... " I copyed the phone company"

pay this ammount on of before the 10th

pay this ammount after the 10th and before the 20th

pay this amount after the 20th and before the 30th

any account past 30 days may be sent to collections

Thank you

3. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I collect at the end of each month for some and others that I have no history with request post dated cheques for the first of the month...

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I like that idea. We deal with mostly elderly clients who pay on time. However, if we had problems getting paid, I would adopt this idea, as I think it's one of the better ideas out there on how to entice customers to pay quickly.

and 15 days is plenty of time for a customer to pay their bill. It is not unreasonable to set those terms for residential accounts.

5. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Shes hacked cause she can no longer dance around your invoice!...:laugh:

Try a new approach with her.......PREPAYMENT!

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 15 day due date as well for my monthlies. So, I sent the invoices on the last day of the month and it is due on the 15th of the next month. In effect, you are waiting to be paid for your first cut of the month almost 45 days. Thats plenty in arrears, your policy is sound don't let anyone try to give you crap for that.

7. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I bill around the middle of the month and make due date the end of the month. I don't charge late fees but I phone them if they are late. I want to bill at the first of the month and make the due date the 15th so that they get two weeks of credit then I get paid in advance for two weeks. I think that's fair but I don't got the guts lol.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, she understands.:cool2:

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

She called me back and told me that she writes her bills out on the 20th and that instead of paying once a month she will leave a check under the mat every Tuesday and I can pick it up weekly.

Fine with me.

So instead of just writing one check early she has decided to write 4 checks. :hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is a lot of ways to get rid of customers....this is probably one of the easiest. And 15 days is not enough...