Customer complains about growth but wants if fertilized?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 22, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I went to collect from a client today that is a slow payer. I mowed her yard last Tuesday and it was already overgrown badly. Client ask me the "can you cut it lower" and gets my "no". I tried to get her to go to every 7-10 days but she said could not afford it. She then ask me if I would put out some fertilizer she had bought few weeks ago. I stood there sorta dumbfounded before I asked her if she knew what that would do to her lawn about making it grow. Said she still wanted it done. I advised her I would not do it at this time until I get fully licensed, and she said she or her kids would put it out. What the &&^ is this lady thinking? She is complaining about the extra growth but wants it fert? And this lady has a 6 year college degree! :D Man, south Georgia in my rear view mirror sure would look good about now! Bottom feeding, scum sucking, penny pinching, whining, moaning, pizzing, poor mouthing can you come once a month, cut it lower, do it for 15 dollars POS SOB clients that I have! There, that made me feel better :D
  2. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

VENT BROTHER VENT!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think the problem is, it took her 6 years to get thru college. Supposed to take only she is 50% dumber than her peers.

Now don't move on us, we'll miss your stories. :D
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

Thnaks green thum, I have to do that once in awhile!! :D
  5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I hear Georgia is the worst! Makes me sick just thinking of that lady! :dizzy:
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

LOL, probably so HOOLIE, BTW I got my check but of course it was no good until July 1! :D :D I LOVE MY CLIENTS!! I constantly have to hold this ladies checks, they are good when she says they are which may be 3 to 4 weeks.
  7. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that absolutely LOVES me to cut his grass at 2" (all others are normally at 3"). I did it for him a couple times at 1.5" (he LOVES it short, lol) but even he agreed that was too short. Similar reasoning.... it grows to fast. (That is his stated reason... I really think he just likes to imagine he owns a golf course or some other perverse fantasy). I humor him by cutting it at whatever length he desires, despite my constant plea's to cut it higher, and copying of articles on the subject of mowing height, weed infestation and prevention, root development, draught resistance and the like and giving it to him, highlighting pertinent facts of course. To solve the heat and draught problem, he hired a 15 year old kid from down the street to be his "head waterboy" and had some business cards made for the kid. He pays him to come over and water his grass every day. On top of this, he tells me he fertilizes his grass every week. (Again, I am not sure if I believe he really does it every week, but he at least likes to pull my chain and get me to go on one of my "Oh my god, are you nuts!" speils). He has been a customer for 3 years now, sends his payments in the day he recieves the invoices, is usually home when we cut, loves our work, and I talk to him almost every cut. He is by his own admission "eccentric" (I told him that the only difference between him and someone in an institution was that he had money). I have learned to take it in stride, and even have a little fun with it. I usually get a chuckle either from talking to him, or by watching him literally send his lawn into a slow downward spiral to which he has be warned against many, many times. I sense that when it gets too bad he will just have it re-sodded. :) I have already suggested to him putting in a bentgrass lawn. I am still working on winning him over to the idea.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member