Customer Complaints after completed Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mbarcel, Jul 22, 2009.

1. mbarcel

mbarcel LawnSite Member

Ok so I recently completed a small planting job for a clients backyard, and she was very satisfied at the end of the day and payed the bill in full. A few days later, I get a call saying that she wants me to replace a few of the transplanted sedums and an astible that looked wilted. Does this happen alot? Is it my fault for not specifying in the contract that I would not guarantee the plants? I know the owner of the nursery and it won't be a problem to replace the plants but it is still a few hours of wasted work with the travel.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

It does happen, inspect the plants, if they look like crap get right on it replace them you should want to... your work is your business card.

3. my poilicy when it comes to installs is this:
    NO WARRANTY on any transplants.
    New plants-90 days.

Did she water the plants especially the transplanted one's??

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

it is your fault for not specifying the warranty terms. people expect a warranty.

Personally I only warranty the plants that I buy. With transplants I always make sure the client understands that there is no guarantee the plants will survive.

5. mbarcel

mbarcel LawnSite Member

No warranty was established in the terms... I went by today to replace the astilbe and it looked as if the plants had been suffering from too much water. Alot of rain this past week, probably overwatering, plus clay soil. The leaves were yellowish... would this have been my responcibility under a typical warranty?

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

hello neighbor.........

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

they weren't just going through transplant shock?

8. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I tell people that transplants may not live. I buy my small shrubs at Lowes because they have a 1 year warranty.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's part of the cost of doing business, but you have to decide what kind of business you run,
    I usually do guarantee my work although again that's part of the cost.

And if they do fuxors up they're a whole lot cheaper to replace :p

10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

IMO no. as long as you discussed plant care with the client.