Customer Complaints Up with eXmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ULTIMATE LAWN, Jul 22, 2003.

1. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Last year I eXperieced numerous customer complaints on the accounts where the eXmarks w/mulch kit were being run & none on other accounts. The compaints were allways that the grass looked Pushed Down. All accounts are cut at 3-3.5" in the summer which is when the complaints started.

It Was those Curvy Mulch Blades. This year all units are equipped with eXcalibur high-lifts & Notched & there Has been No Complaints.

You can visibly see the difference where the curvy blades would push down the turf- the eXcalibur's lift it & leave a Picture Postcard Cut.

Whats-up with those Blades---I bought Quantity when I bought the MM Kits-Now I want my $$$ back.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching never worked for me. The Vacuum is combated by the downforce of the mulching blade. Cant have both! Plus I believe that you need to cut a bit lower for mulching to be really effective and look good....(ie. 2.5-3" MAX)

3. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Just curious - did you run the high lifts with the baffles and discharge cover in place or did you side discharge?

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I have seen the wavy blades also do this. There is no lift with the blades, so it doesn't get all the grass sucked up to be cut, especially when you are cutting at 3.5 in and higher. I did not have any problems when cutting at 3 inches though.

When you use the excalibur blades and the mulching kit, do you have a lot of blowout?

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

No Blowout.

With the eXcalibur High lifts or Notched the finished cut is Perfect at 3"-3.5" w/mulch kit (baffles&plate).

It was Unbelievable the # of complaints we had with those Wavy Blades. They cut fine at 2.5" but anything higher they are Complete Garbage.

6. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I've still got the Ultra-vac mounted on my Lazer and about to put the Mulch kit on this week. After reading this, should I bother? Maybe stick with the original blades and the mulch kit? Doubles? No mulch kit, but add an OCDC & the anti-blow out baffle? Lemme know what you think. Thanks.

7. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

The eXcalibur High-Lifts give eXcellent results with the Micro Mulch Kit at 3" & Over---Stands the Grass Straight Up & Clean Cut.

The Wavy Blades are now called eXcalibur Mulchers. Stay far away if cutting High.

8. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

This is my second year with the MM kit on my 48" TTHP. I have been using the "wavy" blades the whole time.

I have never had a lawn look less than perfect. Spring growth, summer drought or fall leaves.

I have one customer I cut at 4" and all the rest at 3.

I diagonal stripe each lawn and they look fabulous. Only problem I have is front blowout when it is dry.

I have no complaints, the difference might be my cool season grasses up here.

Bob

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Lazer HP and run mulch kit with wavy blades all year and also have nothing less than perfect. All lawns are cut at a height of no less than 3.5".

Something I can say has made a huge difference that I can see is sharpening with the Magna Matic grinder.

I have no complaints from customers or to Exmark about their machines.