Customer decided to do the job himself.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by proenterprises, May 7, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Last week, I dropped 2 yards of mulch off at a customers house. They knew that I was going to drop the mulch off last week, and install it tomorrow. I get a call today, saying that they spread the mulch themselves, but need me to drop off more and install it.

Im furious that they took it upon themselves to do my job. What would you do in this situation?, tell them to shove it up their a**, continue with a smile, or what?

2. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'd charge them the same amount whether they did it themselves or not

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, I'd be pretty POed too!

4. Mike's Yard Services

Mike's Yard Services LawnSite Member

Alrightee.bet they did not know they just bought the most expensive homeowner installed mulch on the block......full price.............or atleast close to it. Definitely full price for the next install....making money anyway for no work on first two yds, other than the delivery.....you did drop it right or did u have delivered.they can still pay for that.

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I delivered the mulch myself. However, I sepparate my material fee from my labor fee. Thus, I am going to have a pretty hard time charging for labor that I did not do. I probably should have had them sign somthing, but never in the world saw this coming along. Oh well, Im heading over there now, we shall see what happens.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Did they see the material price? If not go up on the mulch and maybe after the 2nd load you will be near the price of the 1st mulch installed. If they saw an itemized bill then I would come up with '' I gave a discount on the mulch because I was gonna make some $$ on the install, but my price for just delivery is X price, not what I qouted for delivery and install''

7. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge them the same price unless they saw an itemized bill already. Either that or I would just drop off mulch this time and say you did such a great job of doing the first load you can do the 2nd load as well. Or if they want you to do the 2nd install, up the price on them.

8. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

What this big deal? Its there home if they wanted in install it themselves let them.

9. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you were supposed to do the work and made time to do it, you are losing money. He may have turned down other work to do this job. Thats the big deal.

10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Thats life. How mant times have you cancelled a appiontment?