customer decipline?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a street with many customers 1/4 acre lots they all talk to each other. On the 3rd cut of the season one asks to be cut every 2 wks and knows she will pay a little more. I tell her a lot more and she says ok. Little does she know I have a plan to replace her or get her back in to compliance with the rest of the street. I get lucky and a guy one the street over asks me to cut his lawn . I like to get a replacement before I get too cocky with them. I let him know my program and he is happy to get on board. On the day of the 2nd week Lady's cut I remark how high the lawn is and remind her of the higher cost (although not double $). I purposely leave the grass lay and it looks like sh%$. She hands me payment and I tell her that I can't cut her lawn any longer as I am unable to do a 2wk cut and get good results without bagging and that would cost as much as 2 times a regular weekly cut. She says she understands and will ask her husband to get it cut weekly. I remind her HE can cut it but I 'm out for every 2 weeks. The bottom line is if I cut her every 2wks and make it look good the rest of the street will want that program too. we'll se if the hubby gets back with the program but at least I replaced them if not. Dealing with customers is a game and you have to play to win!!!

2. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

if you loose your customer trust mide as well figure you will loose more customers as well. you have to keep that trust with your customers. and they will pay anything to keep you otherwise your out of business

3. jeffex

I'm not sure if your reply is claiming I have lost customer trust or just simply making a statement? customer trust is a 2 way street that has expectations on both sides. I have enacted a plan to keep my customers and replace her if necessary without lying or cheating anyone.

4. You did the right thing by standing your ground. Some things customers ask aren't practical for you or them.

I just lost a long time customer with a similar situation. The son (who now handles the old man's affairs) thinks I mow his dad's lawn too often.
    I am just trying to keep up with the growth. He wants me to mow on the schedule he remembers from his youth at home. Too bad for him, I quit.
    It's kind of sad. I kept the old family farmstead like a showcase for more than 20 years. Cheap too, old Dad was as big a cheapskate as the son.

5. Gardens55

Gardens55 LawnSite Member

It's true that you should try to maintain the trust of your customers but at some point you gotta say that it's better off for both of you if you stop working for them. There will be other, perhaps more valuable customers. :)

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i have one pain customer she calls 15 times a week no joke. for the same thing no matter how many times we go over it i think she understand then the next day its the same thing. Worst part she pays a head of time

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion you could deal with this in a better way

8. jeffex

ok so lets hear your better way !!! as far as I see this I got a new customer and may in fact may maintain my old one and keep the peace on the street. If my other customers ask me what happened I tell them the truth. I don't cut healthy growing lawns every 2 wks. Some of them have been with me for 14yrs but they would get over on me if they could get away with it I'm sure. discipline my friend customer discipline

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

now you are saying you will keep the customer to keep the peace on the street. what happened to waiting for a replacement before you get to cocky with them. Professional LCO's don't get cocky or have the desire to they go out of their way not to they simply will just walk away politely if their fees and terms can't be met. Seriously isn't that easier? A customer who can't or does not want to pay your fee is no reason to get cocky. Make no mistake about it this is customer money related.

10. Country

Country LawnSite Member

He got a replacement....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.