1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer dependability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Freetime, May 18, 2001.

1. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

What are some of your thoughts on customer dependability/responsibility? You would think we should be able to hold them as responsible as they do us. When I have enough of “ can you cut every two weeks” or some other line, I ask “ what would you do if the company you work for told you to take three weeks off without pay and be ready to come back to work when we call” most are fuddled at this point and have the deer in the headlights look.

Thanks for the comments.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the customer has a responsibility to honor the contract. put it in writing, make sure its detailed. the contracts i use though r considered none binding. if they, or me find we cant live by the contract, we either rewrite it, or adios.
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It is called "The risk of business"...

As a business you accept and understand that there is always a certain risk in what you do. As you mentioned if the stress of risk is not what you want..you can work for some large company doing whatever and have safety and job assurance. This example is a large part of our business and is just part of the green industry.
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

our maximum time between two cuttings is two weeks, and most of ours are weekly. I have spent ten years culling out the "I'll call you when it needs it" customers. They can help you pay your bills at first, but scheduling becomes incredibly important once your booked up. dave g
  5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I think that communication instigated by the LCO from the start is important. This shows that you know what you are doing, the customer knows what to expect from you and what you expect from them and that you are (more or less) in control as long as they hire you. This is a trust that is gained from years of doing business with the same clients and these "by the cut when I call you" people will never give you that trust, and they should never be given yours.

I tell all of my customers that I work on a 7-10 day schedule cutting less frequently in the dry summer and more frequently as needed. This also lets them know I will be there each week and that I can be relied on and it gives me flexibility in the event of rain or an emergency as well.

Don't misunderstand--I feel that being assertive and articulate is different from being bossy . I think that this may not apply to all customers--each will have to be read just like when an estimate is given for the first time.