1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer directions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sheshovel, Mar 3, 2006.

1. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Get a call today to go out to take a look and do a plan and estimate for a new landscape install
    The lady's directions..Well we are BETWEEN road 400&RD 415..you know where that is?me yes
    Well Ya go about 5 miles down there.me where beginning at rd 400 5miles?yes..me that's only about a mile I think..her..well whatever anyway ya go about 5 miles tell ya see Sesame st and you turn on your left turn signal right then..
    me OK..then you take a real sharp left there.
    .me on Sesame?
    her..no just PAST Sesame st..me ok.her..then you will be on either an asphalt road or a dirt road.
    .Ok then you find the dirt road(I am done asking questions of her as of now so remain silent)
    and ya go down there about 5 more miles..
    Oh I forgot back on between 400 & 415 you have to go past the place with the big greenhouses..ya know it?
    me yes..Ok well ya have to go past those before you get to Sesame st..me OK..her..where was I?
    me we were going down the dirt road..
    her..OH yeaa anyway ya go down tell ya see a green gate on the left side..me ok..her ..are you writing this down?
    me..yes...OK where was I again.
    .me green gate
    Oh yea ok well when you get to the green gate you will see a sign on it and my husband likes signs..it says buckle-up and watch-out.me..watch out for what?
    her..oh nothing my husband just likes signs..me ok
    ...so you need to stop kinda far back in front of the gateOK?
    cuz it swings out and you don't want it to hit you.
    me ok..well there is a code box on the gate and it is a codded electric gate..have you run worked those before?
    me..Yes I have(starting to wonder if this is going to be worth it or not)
    OK well the code is #6653484 ok?Are you writing this down..you need to write this down..me yes I assure you I am writing this all down and I repeat the code back to her.
    .her ok well ya keep giong another mile to the top of the hill where you will see a BIG stop sign..my husband love signs..and go right there..me ok.
    .THEN ya keep going tell ya see another gate and thats us.me ok do I need another code(following along well I think)her..no just press the butto on the left side..errr could be the right side..and it will open.
    But watch out cuz it opens out and your vehicle could get damaged.
    me..has that happened to you?her no but I don't want it to happen.
    (me thinking whell if your husband likes signs so much why not a "Gate opens OUT'' sign?)but I refrain from comment.
    her..ok so that will be 8822456 Tenyia Trail Road and we are right there.I have a dog loose but he won't bite you unless you run from him OK?
    And do you have references you could bring?me yes I will provide all of that when I come see ya friday unless there is snow then I will call and reschedule you OK her..OK

Why me GoD???????
  2. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

sheshovel I love your posts!!

The thing I can't understand is how you can remember it all...I know it was a tough call but I would have been asleep by the third direction.

I hope after all the detail that it will be worth it for you, but somehow I think...nah!

Call her back and tell her to watch for you coming down the road....you will be the one driving the blue truck...you know, the one with the small dent in the back,,,you know the one.. Oh,...and theres a small white streak on the front fender..the left one,,, I mean the right one,, its just above the wheel well to the right, I mean left....it's where someone ran into you when you were on the last job so you want to make sure it doesn't happen again,,,, but if it does thats OK too --just watch out for the rust on the front bumper...you might get cut even though nobody else has but you still wouldn't want anyone to.... I will bring a sign so when I park in front of your house everyone will know your interested in some landscaping...maybe!:drinkup:
  3. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

LOL!! That's great! keep us posted.
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how you resisted singing "Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street".
  5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Normally I just ask for an address and a town and either mapquest it, or look in the road atlas. Follow the directions and if I get lost off of those then make a call to get back on my way.
  6. sheshovel

Well you can't do that around here..there are too many roads people are putting in on their own and dosen't keep up with the maps..our local maps are crap anyway and you can almost bet that that dirt road is not on any map
  7. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Well then I get the nearest landmark and go from there.
  8. sheshovel

Geeeze Godzilla I can find the place..I dident post this so you could tell me how to find a customers property..I have been doing that for many years now and rarely miss.I posted it as a laugh at the way some customers give directions is all..get it yet?
  9. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

That is good comedy, got a good laugh out of that one. Hopefully your wrote all the directions down, did you write them all down? Kidding, hopefully the appointment goes well. Good luck with this one.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

touchy touchy:dizzy: