Customer discounts for the same neighborhood

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimmyStew, May 30, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

A question for those of you who give new customers a "discount" because they are in the same neighborhood as another customer. How do you justify this to your current customer who is now paying more for being loyal? I see this scenario presented in the plowing world as well. Why should a new customer receive a discount?

2. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

no discount. u need more then 1 customer per neighborhood anyway to make $$. no discount even if they live right beside each other.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I could have a dozen customers in the same neighborhood but the pricing stays consistent. No discounts.

4. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

If they refer a customer sure they get a discount. But other than that no discount. Because customers talk, don't need them ganging up.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

ya i thought about doing discounts also but i started to think that if i happen to lose one of the customers in the same area, then i'm screwed...no discounts, even though they are next door, just nice that you can park your truck and bam, bam with no drive time! i love those clients.

6. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with all of your comments, however, you read threads in this forum all the time about lco's that do just what I described. I'm wondering what their rationale is, or if they've never thought about it before.

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

change lco's to "lco's". thats the biggest problem, most of them think that a mower trimmer.....etc. makes them a landscaper, wrong this is an industry that caters to much high-end clientèle. they aint lco's to start w/ theyre weekend warriors w/ pickups and mowers.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

we offer discounts only if 20 or more sign up in same neighborhood. everyone gets $5 off then.

9. dura to the max

from georgia

i like it, but it would be in writing that when it dropped to 19 everyone paid an extra $5.

10. dura to the max

from georgia

huh? what the heck does this mean?
    after your overhead maybe?...