1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer doesn't like my pay rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Apr 6, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut a new customer today. He only wanted mow and go (no trimming/blowing) so I bid it at $35 for the 1/2 acre. When I got to his house he had his shed door open and I could see everything in it. He then showed me everthing in the shed which included 4 corvettes, 2 harleys, 1 2005 chevy z71 and lots of other things. I was impressed to say the least and he seemed really nice. After I saw the contents of the shed I started mowing and I was done in 31 minutes. I didn't even look at a clock when I started or finished but the customer must have timmed me. As I was loading up he came out and said "31 minutes...you can't be done" I told him I was done. He then said "well, if your done we need to renegotiate the price because your making too much money". I was pi$$ed and told him I was not lowering my price :angry: . He threw a fit and told me how many things he could buy with the money I was charging him. He said $70 per hour is way too much. I told him take it or leave it....it's no skin off my back. He'll be real mad when I bring the 72" mower next week and I'm gone in 20 minutes.

Why is it that people, who must have some money to afford the things they have, ***** about the cost of lawn care? If he gives me any more lip there will be no more lawn care for him :nono: .
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you think he got all that stuff in his garage...
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maybe you should explain the costs of doing business.
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried that last week with a guy who wanted 2 acres done for 60 bucks...didnt quite work out.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

He must of made his money behind a desk, because if he was in any kinda business he would know about overhead. Or maybe he thinks your stupid. Why should you be penalized for being efficient. Tell him what one of your mowers cost, that usually raises an eyebrow
  6. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

haha when you go back next week have all your mowers going at once 36" through 72" and then see what he says lol.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Lose this pr*ck fast. I simply will not deal with people like that. If they can't take it, they can stuff it, period.
  8. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Its unreal that people think you should be punished for being efficient....Sounds like he is cheap if he didnt want any weedeating or edging either
  9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

My head is about to explode from just thinking about people like that. Never go back. Never. You'll just end up smashing his skull into one of his shiny I have to have lots of expensive cars to be cool mobiles. :realmad:
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I like that, "Stuff it". Where has that phrase been? I miss it. Lets bring it back. It was huge in the 80's and is perfect for non-cursing situations like lawnsite. Sweet.