1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer doesn't want me to use a spreader

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gosselin142258, Apr 17, 2008.

1. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Ok well I aquired a new customer. she's an older woman she has a few low spots in her yard and wanted me to put in "soft dirt" (loam) then seed. all this and just wants me to spread seed by hand because her husband did it that way. I guess it's no big deal. i can rake it in. and as far as fertilizer she doesn't want any of that either. I'm sort of stumped by her oddness but hey. i'd like to just spread a little of that scotts start up fert but i dont want to do what she doesnt want. any suggestions. shes very set in her old ways and id hate to see her not get grass. but what she wants done was very stict
  2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd have to tell her it's my way or the highway. The second option would be to quote it twice as high for her method with no garantee at all, or my way at a normal price with a promise of an additional visit if the seeding doesn't go well. Since my area is very tight (no customer more than a 4 minute drive) I can check to see if it's getting irrigated. The follow up call holds IF she is watering. Let her put that in her pipe and smoke it.
  3. gosselin142258

gosselin142258 LawnSite Member
    from Mass

maybe im too soft for business shes like 102 lol i dont wnat to get difficult w/ her but i am getting good money either way

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if she pays my fee ill do it in a pink pair of speedos while singing gone with the wind.
  5. buzzz427

buzzz427 LawnSite Member

are you sure you arent from Maine I had this exact job last year with sounds like the same woman. I did it her way charged her extra with intentions of knowing I would have to go back. Half of the seed took and half didnt going to reseed this year on the part that didnt take and charge her for the seed but not the labour. I made that last year and she is one of my highest paying customers.
  6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Just imagine she is your Granny and your job is to make her happy. Whats the harm just a little more time and maybe a call back. End result should be the same and you have done a good deed as well.
  7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Very nice attitude, sir!
  8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you look like her husband?

I have an elderly lady customer who thinks I look like the survivor guy host.
    She needs glasses, but it makes my day.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

its pretty simple....if the areas are that small. then take a coffee and and mix some fert and grass seed together so when you spread it by hand, so she doesn't know the fert is going down.

you'll be back with follow ups and then she'll blame you for not spreading the seed right, ect.... so a little slight of hand may be in order to do the job properly.

Why not tell the dealer when they change your oil....Heck just suck out 1/2 of the oil and don't change the filter...
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

She is hiring you to do the work and is clearly communicating the specs for the job. Their is nothing wrong with that.