customer feedback

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you can learn alot by LISTENING to your customers, and asking questions. i did two estimates today. got them both signed up. one was easier than the other, but both had been sick and tired of being sick and tired. they have been through a barrage of low priced companies. they said there was a big lack of quality, but that wasn't thier biggest issue. thier biggest issue was reliability. the low priced guys never showed up, and never returned calls. they actually said they would gladly sacrifice QUALITY, for reliability. they called 10 different companies this february. out of the 10, only 4 returned thier call. out of the 4, all were able to produce a pesticide permit (much to my surprise). out of the 4, none of them required a contract, and would do business on a verbal agreement. out of the four, 2 said they would only work on a cash basis. my price was higher than 2 by alot, and close in comparisson to the other 2. the deciding factor was: they were impressed that i handed them a 3 page contract, with all details covered. they were impressed that i handed them a copy of my pest license, and a stack of written references. set yourself apart, stand out, or else you'll look like all the rest, and they will choose a service by going eeny meeny miney mo, catch a lawnboy by the toe.......

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nice going there bg...

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that this might be your most positive, constructive post ever. Now stop telling all the morons ways to improve their businesses, let them figure it out themselves (just kidding).

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like you listened to a lot of people for a change Bobby instead of thinking only your way was right, way to grow!

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I can't believe you didn't have to show them the shovel. BTW, good going. I guess professionalism is still alive and well...sometimes.

6. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Very good post there BobbyG

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, Bobby, this is not one of your average get the shovel, dont give a squat about customer, Im king of lawncare type post! :) I agree, there is nothing like acting like a first class professional to get biz. This was actually one of your best post. Congrats! Now makes me want to go out and try this on my customers, if only the contract thing worked here.

8. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Poorman,
    Why don't contracts work for you?

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

don't get me wrong, by mid may they will be afraid to even talk to me, i just sweet talked my way in. i really want to grow by around 30 more lawns this year, hopefully 20 of them full service. i was shocked though, and never heard a client say they would even sacrifice quality for reliability.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Cward, in my area contracts go over like a fart in a elevator. Even our big time LCO only have a few. I have one commercial contract and that is all and they asked for it. When I bring them up clients get real mad real fast so I finally gave up on them. Wished I could get all contracts but not in my area.