1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customer got sticker shock

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C&S Services, Jul 12, 2004.

1. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

Looking for your pricing on this bid, I did it up and the guy thought it was way to high like 50% or more. This is what needed to be done.
    remove 10 dead skyrocket shrubs, install 6 yards dark mulch in 3 beds one bed is on a 6' retaining wall with lots of plantings in all 3, clean out leaf litter and fallen branches from back yard (back yard is very steep hill next to lake lots of trees and blue berry bushes around 5,000 sq ft plus). clean out drainage system from driveway 30' pipe. Plant 10 new shrubs and remove all waste to transfer station. Customer was going to purchase all plantings and mulch. What would your best guess be? I would like to see how far off I might be. I'm up here in New Hampshireif that helps.
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing I have learned in the biz, just doing much lower priced maintenance, is that some people will consider ANY bid you give way too high. They are just totally out of touch with reality, and may be basing what they consider "normal" pricing on some low-ball bid they got from someone or a job they got done by a now-defunct business who obviously didn't charge enough.

I bid $25 on a small lawn the other day for an old lady, because I'm starting up again here in a new location and need the work. I figured it would take me 30 minutes, but the competition here is fierce, so I bid low so I can get some income coming in. She COMPLAINED and said her last guy did it for less, and came out only every two weeks at that! Gee, I wonder why she needed a new lawn guy?

That reminded me to forget these losers and stick to my guns. Their poverty isn't your problem.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

That reminded me to forget these losers and stick to my guns. Their poverty isn't your problem. [/B][/QUOTE]

Golden words of wisdom... I learned this lesson lately, I bid a job at $45. The PITB lady sez "I'll give you 35" I say no and leave. Afew days later, in desperation ( I'm having a hard time picking up ANY work, let alone good accts.), I call ehr bach and agree to her terms. After mowing it 1 time the drama starts, She starts trying to dictate when I will mow. We agreed to Thurs., We had lots of rain here latelly so on the third visit I show up ( the groud is dry enough to mow without damaging the turf, She doesn't think so..) And the money ain't there, and neither is she. I talk to her extremelly rude 19 yr old daughter who sez " she 's not here and did not leave money for you" So I come back on the following Monday ( rained lightly Fri) And she doesn't want to pay me for the make up mow and this week's sceduled mow on Thursday. This is when it hit me... I will never "deal with this BS again" It was my own fault for making a bad descision. I dropped her immediatly and I will never look back.

I know this was a long rant but, NEVER budge on your prices, YOU are the only one who knows what your worth...
  4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

c$s services I figured $890 but i dont know all the details. How close was that to your bid.
  5. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Site unseen, I'd go 6.5-700, from your post, here in the NW anyway, to answer your real question. Oly

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The bigger the job, the larger the margin for error... So go high, you'll kick yourself if your too low.

For the $890 bid, I'd round that to $900 (or $1000, even better)
  7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

the reason i come of with these odd numbers (890) is because it makes it seem like I actually did some figuring and not just rounding the numbers up. Seems to work for me down in GA.
  8. C&S Services

C&S Services LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input when I get home office I'll get you the total numbers for the bid and let me know what you all think.
  9. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Since I cannot tell how long any of this would take you...couldn't begin to give you an estimate.

Your not paying for any of the materials, so material cost is irrelevant...its all time cost.

Figure out how much time it will take, and charge accordingly.

One thing I've found over the yrs...customers who buy all the materials and just are lookin' for labor...are the worst to deal with.
  10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Let us know how many hours you estimate for each task. A given task could take 30 minutes or 300 minutes depending on the circumstances. We don't know the circumstances cause we can't see all of the work conditions. It Looks like you've got to estimate for delivery, hauling, disposal, labor, (more?). At a glance I can't say what the estimate would be, kinda like when somebody asks me for an estimate over the phone, can't do it.