Customer Grading

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dixiedemon, Sep 4, 2005.

1. dixiedemon

dixiedemon LawnSite Member
    from ky

i want to send out a questionnaire to all my customers for them to grade my work what are some questions i could ask them
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If they aren't complaining, that's a good sign they are satisfied. Why open up a can of worms. I am not for sending out surveys/questionaires.
    Just my thoughts.
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It's been said that 99% of all clients will never complain they will just stop using that service. Why not give the customer an opportunity to speak their mind before it's to late. It will cost you more money to acquire new clients than it will to keep your current ones satisfied.

You can do a questionnaire several different ways.
    The first way would be to ask the question with Yes/No type answers. The second is you could ask questions with a scale range, something like; Exceeded expectations, met expectations, needs improvement, serious problem. Or; Better than, Same as, Worse than.
    You could also combine the questionnaire to contain several yes/no questions and several questions with a scale range.

You should probably start with questions based on things like:
    Quality, Value, Reliability, Etc.

You could also ask how your service compared to that of other companies they have worked with in the past. Ask them if they would use your services again.
    And give them the opportunity write in some comments of items that would make your services better.

I created a customer questionnaire several years ago that I could send you. It might give you something to start with. If your interested just send me a PM with a email address.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What are your customers supposed to be your school teachers?I agree it does open up a can of worms.If you feel you must get feedback then simply send out a note saying that .....If there are any problems they have noticed with the way your work is being performed,to please do not hesitate to contact you at blablabla any time during working hours." You don't need to complicate your customers lives any more than they already are now.
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

good point. just simply add a note to all the invoices each month.... is there anything else extra we can do for you or do better in the future.
  6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I've thought of doing the questionaire thing before. But this sounds better to me.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how rediculous, how pathetic, how lawnboyish
  8. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

If surveys and questionnaire are a waste of time and do nothing more than open up a can of worms why do so many big businesses use them?

Surveys are the best way to find out what and how a customer feels about a current purchase, service etc. Everyone from Auto dealers, Big chain Restaurants, cell phone companies, computer and software companies, cruise lines, even Disney use surveys and questionaires. I even received a client survey on a recent mower purchase.

Are these multi-billion dollar businesses just wasting their time as well as ours? Are our opinions, comments and concerns just opening a can of worms for them, or should we be learning something from what their doing?

Personally i've had nothing but good feedback come out of the surveys that we send out each year. Many of the comments that people have made we have been able to incorporate into our day to day operations and have really made good business sense.

Since my work is performed during the daytime hours while most people are at work it is difficult to determine how people value the service they are receiving and if they are seeing any problems. With 99% of people not willing to complain the surveys are the only way I have of trying to correct something before the client finally gets fed-up enough and kicks us to the curb.