customer has a well

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Mar 16, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a customer requested a fert program. advised me that there is an underground well in the front yard. it is used for drinking water. do i still apply pesticides to this property?what would u do?

2. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Well, thats a deep subject. Actually I do a number of properties with wells. One has 4 on it. One for the home, the guest house, the lake, and the barn. Assuming you're talking about a deep well there is very little risk of ground water contamination. Having said that most cases of 2-4-D ground water contamination have been associated with mixing and loading around the well. As long as you're on label give the well a wide birth on your blanket app. and pick up any problems with your backpack. Normal fert. program is no problem. Now having said that, thats for good old Indiana clay. I don't know nothing about NJ soils and very little about Indiana dirt.

3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Just read your labels and check that it doesn't say anything about high leaching potential. You should be fine, so long as you don't have any spills or other mishaps.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it too big to spot treat? That would put little if any pesticide on turf.

Mark

5. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

To be on the safe side for my protection, I would have a sample tested for the products that I would be using. Without baseline results anything can be claimed.