Customer Hates Lines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IBGreen, Oct 15, 2002.

1. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys! I've got a problem here, I have this customer who we have been cutting for about a year. Never has he or she ever complained. They always come out and tell me what a wonderful job I do and how much they love it. One day after I got through another LCO stopped and was talking to me and she came out and made it known to me and them how good we do. Now for some odd reason they decide they don't like the way my WWW.HUSQVARNA ztr leaves lines in thier lawn so they want me to use the 21" walk behind how much sould I charge them now? I was thinking twice as much. It takes about 30 minutes with two people so its going to take a lot more effort but hey, anything for a customer.

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Communication, is the key here. You need to sit down with them face to face and explain your point.

15 minutes mowing time with the z = $25 for mowing
    30 minutes with two push mowers = $50 for mowing

These are just big round numbers, but as an example that time = money. They'll understand.

Scott

3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

My Answer--I don't push mow lawns-Sorry. Call Bobby down the street!

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would definitely explain this to them ASAP. More time is fine but it costs more too. Explain the ZTR is doing any damage.

Gravely_Man

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I agree, I don't even own a push mower. That ZTR cost you money whether it is on the grass on on the trailer and the customer is going to pay for that. If you have the time and energy to push mow than charge her for it. If you demand the same rate ($/hr) I think she may flinch.

6. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Did you always cut it with the Husky Z or is this something new for you? If it's new, they are probably mad that you are getting done so fast and feel they are paying too much. In which cas you tell them that this machine cost me XXX thousands and I bought it to improve my efficiency and the quality of cut on your lawn. If it's not new, chances are they were talking to someone (relative or neighbor) that said "I would never let one of those big machines on my yard", and now they are paranoid. In either case there is some damage control that needs cleared up asap so you can continue using the Z. If you absolutely must use a 21, price it high or you are going to lose out.

Good luck.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

this has happened to me.

I used the customers pusher once and said never again.

she fired me.:eek:

I got my revenge that fall when she called me and asked if I'd "like to come pick up her leaves".

and I politely explained that I only pick up the leaves of the people that I mow for.:angel:

GEO

8. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys! I love knowing I'm not the only person that has to go through these things! I love this site! I have had my ztr the entire time I've had their account so I would say a neighbor probably had enfluenced them. I believe you're on to something Brian, I guess I'll set down with them and let them know that the lines are not "ruts".

Brandon Shaw
    Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

9. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Mow it in circles.:dizzy:

10. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a line I use for this situation:

"Maam, telling me which mower to use is a little like telling your carpenter which hammer to use, or your plumber which wrench to use, or your surgeon which scalpel to use. If you want to make these decisions for me, fine, but I'll have to refigure the price accordingly."

No, I'd say that she's got some other burr under her saddle and you are an easy target. Most likely it doesn't even have anything to do with you, she's just wound up tighter than a banjo string and venting. If she's been a good customer up to this point, I'd cut her some slack. I think if you'll roll with it, things will be back to normal soon. If they don't, then politely tell her that when she's over the REAL problem, she should give you a call so you can resume the service. Then I'd leave and not come back. If she never calls, you're better off. If she does call, you'll have a good customer who probably will never do this to you again.