customer having problem with lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Surferbum21, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

I have a customer whose yard gets mushy after a heavy rain. He says he has brought in sand before to level it and help out but he says it still gets soft and stays soft after rain. Would bringing in top soil and leveling the yard with it help this out?

2. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

anyone? anyone at all?

3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

Without pics, and more info, I would offer a french drain option. But, I have been known to overbid a job.

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe, maybe not. Just adding topsoil isn't going to solve a drainage problem, unless the soil is added so that it changes the drainage pattern and flow. You have to figure out where the water is coming from and where you can send it. Collect it at the low point it is moving toward, then direct it to a lower point, either with a surface channel, a conventional drain or a french drain.

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Just noticed that you're not too far from me. You should also consider what the Missouri Department of Conservation is promoting for drainage problem sites. Alter the grade so that ALL the water drains toward that one area, then establish a bed of marsh plants. It's called a rain garden. It is a great alternative to channeling the water toward already over-taxed storm sewers. I built one in my yard, and love it. Some very interesting native plants thrive in soggy conditions. In drought, you might have to irrigate a little, but most of the plants are adapted to drying out in the heat of the summer.