1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

customer hires others for extras...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 26, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

would this upset you? a customer, very good customer, needed extras done. #1- at a house she just bought, but is occupied by her son, she needed alot of brush, stumps cleared and disposed of. she asked me for a quote, i told her, never got an answer. same customer incident #2-she's putting in a shed in her back yard. she wants a 14x14 section torn up, leveled, and 2.5" of blue stone put in. i quoted $375. she hired someone else to do both jobs, she was very nice, but said my prices were a bit high. would this get you upset?
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My best customer farms out her bed work to another landscaper as I haven't developed that end of my biz yet. Quit whining at least you still have her as a customer.
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'm not whining, in the least. if i can't get my price, i can't do the job. pretty simple
  4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I had the samething happen!! One of my weekly customers asked me for a price on doing her mulch and it was a big job for me 10 yards. I gave her the quote and called her the next day and she said that they where not going to do mulch this year. Two weeks later I pull up to mow and they have all new mulch I knock on the door and asked here what was up and she said that they got a better price from the guy with the bark blowing truck.
  5. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If i roll up and any other landscaping crew is on any of my lawns , doing any thing,i'll drop that custom like a hot potato!they all except my prizes!thats it, put it in your contrack.
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't care if they don't use me, if my price is higher then someone else (mulching for example). I don't like being LIED TO. For some reason some people can't tell the truth. If I quote a price for mulching (per yard) and someone else wants to do it for HALF THAT PRICE, I figure GO RIGHT AHEAD. I'm not breaking my back if I'm not making the money necessary to make a profit. In fact, I'd rather MOW ALL DAY, because I can make more per hour doing that (with less effort) then doing a mulch or cleanup job.

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with you on this one Bobby. It's their choice to hire whoever they want, but it would be a polite gesture to give us the work. Especially the if you have been good to them in the past. On have only a few customers who have done this to me and I know I should'nt let it bother me, but it does. After all, we are in this business to pick up more work which in return equals more money.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't bother me a bit bg...they're one-time extras...bfd. Forget bout it IMO.
  9. bobbygedd

from NJ

i'm not upset one bit. my biggest problem is curiousity. what did this guy charge that was so much lower that he got the work?
  10. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It didn't bother me that someone else did there mulch, what bothered me was she said they where not going to do mulch this year. And then had someone do it. I would have no problem if it was price.