Customer install a wider gate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Ever have a customer install, or have installed a wider gate to accomodate your bigger walk behind or rider. I have told customers they can get lower bids if they have a wider gate so the back lawn can be mowed faster.

2. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

After I told a customer that the next year I would have to raise the price of mowing because their small gate did not allow me to get my larger mower into their back yard. It was big enough that I needed 2 people with 21"s to get it done. They even measured my mower.

3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have had 3 customers get double gates to accomodate my 52, sold them on the fact they could get more equipment in the back for other things too in the future.

4. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, and I have had 3 other customers dismantle a section so I could get in, so a total of 6 accomodations so far.

5. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Any reputable fence company welcomes constructing a custom gate to your specs for you to pickup/deliver and install.
    Give them a couple days lead time for it.
    Many have economical pre-fab gates and hardware are ready to go in the common sizes: 48", 60", 72".

Most customers like the idea of less cost per-mow, honored for their granting you better access for the big mowers.

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've offered to install the bigger gate for discount providing they bought all parts and rocks where at a minimum. I helped a friend install a bigger gate and he had a huge bolder in the ground right where the post needed to go. After about an hour of back breaker sledge hammering, I told him to rent a jack hammer. Got it done real fast after that.