Customer is in a coma!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Creative Lawn Care, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Question for you guys. Have a customer that I mow his gas station and his home. I have not received payment from last month yet so I go by the store to try and get it. It is only $400 but I am a small bus. and it is the week before christmas so I could sure use the money. Anyway he isnt there so I ask the employee and he tells me the guys had a stroke last week, went to the hospital and had triple bypass surgery. During the surgery he went into a coma and has not woke up yet. Now what do I do?? I assume his wife is in charge since he is not able, but at the same time I feel bad to call the house over the money when the family is obviously going through enough problems right now. Merry Christmas guys!! and gals!

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out if he has a business partner, or talk to his wife.

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I would send a copy of the invoice to his wife in the mail and a personal note to her offering sympathy, letting her know that you would be glad to help out where you can. Personally, I would not even mention the invoice in the personal note. It will speak for itself. I would make sure it stated when it was due. Being the time of year it is makes it real hard.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

some people will do anything to avoid paying thier bill. call his wife, get paid

5. Creative Lawn Care

from NC

The original invoice was due Dec 5th. This guy is always a late payer and pays a $25 late fee every month. I think they are kinda cash strapped. Anyway I think the note and copy of the invoice is a good idea. I want to be nice and do whats right at the same time I like to pay my bills too.

6. Creative Lawn Care

from NC

LMAO Bobby....I but you are right, maybe he really is jsut faking it laying there in ICU

7. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget the shovel when you go by to collect :p

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i don't know, this sounds backwards to me, most of my customers don't end up in a coma until AFTER i make my collection visit

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I had a client die on me once to avoid paying their bill. :angel:

10. Creative Lawn Care

from NC

Locutus-This place is actually in Jamestown.....you might know the guy....