customer is terminally ill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laborador, Jun 18, 2004.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Just wondering if any of you guys have been in this situation. I have a customer that has terminal lung cancer. Only has a short time to live. A good customer I might add she always praises my work. She lives my herself and has a caretaker. I do not know if she has family. When she does pass away does a person just keep mowing her property or just stop completely and hope someone calls to tell you to continue. I do not feel comfortable talking to her about who I contact when she passes because of her condition and it might make her even more depressed. Thanks

2. I've had that situation a few times. I just kept mowing like normal. You might leave a card or something in the mailbox so someone in the family can contact you.
    I'd say you're right not to bring it up to the customer.
    I've never been stiffed by a deceased person. When the checks resume the account has the deceased person's name followed by "etal".
    I've mowed lawns for years while the estate was settled.

Dave

3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also had this happen a few times over the years. I would not mention it to the customer either. THat would be a very hard thing to do.

I would continue mowing as usual, but a couple of weeks after the funeral, I would start making attempts to contact whomever had power of atourney, or whomever is handleing the estate. Of course you will have to handle this matter with care, but once you contact the right people, things usually will be taken care of by her estate. At least that is my experience.

4. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I would not worry about it all in. In fact if it were me I would stop charging her at all. If she has been a long time customer and a good one like you say return the favor. Something like that can mean a lot to a person in that situation. A few minutes of your time and you can help her in more ways than you can imagine.

Seriously think about it. I dont think that we as an industry really take the time to help people when there is not money involved.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Be careful, Ive been through it alot, and greedy kids getting an inheritance can be hard to get money out of.

6. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Keep doing it. Even if you don't get paid for a few weeks before you realize the new people won't pay, you at least kept the place looking nice during a really hard time in their lives. Plus, there is a good chance that they will pay you and keep you in the future.