Customer issue please help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by totallawncare912, Apr 22, 2006.

1. totallawncare912

totallawncare912 LawnSite Member

I have a client whos yard looks like SH&# and tells me that the front yard looks ok and the back was terrible like I did a **** job with my mowing, mind you if you killed all the weeds in the yard you would have nothing left but HARD dirt very very little grass and on top of that $$$$$ cheap and they are renting the house they dont own it ( WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THIS CLIENT ) ????? They want a nice lawn and its about 1 - 1 1/2 acre lot and would cost alot of $ and time to get it where it needs to be.. What should i do about it and what should i say to them ?

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Take a moment and walk the yard with him. Point out the fact that his back yard is not your fault and has taken quite a few years to get to the point where it needs total renovation. Then tell him that you would be willing to kill it all off, do soil tests, repair the damaged soil, and then sod or seed the entire area...all for the low low cost of an approximate price of $18,000 to $22,000 (depending on his choice of sod or seed). If he doesn't like that then tell him to stop bi#*hing about it.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

$18,000??? THAT ain't happening!

4. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you explain to them what you did, why it looks like it does, and what it would take to get into shape. If you try and sell them the restoration services on the spot you will lose a lot of credibility with them.

It's not an uncommon problem in this business: Customer's lawn looks horrible, you cut it, still doesn't looks like the neighbor's beautiful lawn, which by the way has been properly maintain for years.

The problem is that the customer just doesn't understand/know why their lawn looks so bad, they probably know nothing about turf care.

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Clue #1 It's a Rental home. This yard has seen below bare minimum for to many seasons. If they could afford to pull out all the stops then they should own there own home with what ever type of yard fits into their budget. That particular yard will only get worse season after season unless one of the renters takes a loss ( spends there own money to renovate, therefore if rent is say $950/month and they spend mowing, + renovation, rent could average out to over 1200/month. Just for the cheap side.

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

#1. Other than mowing, he didn't do anything to the yard.
    #2. His customers are renters. They're not going to spend money to renovate the lawn & soil. And why should they?
    #3. I doubt he would loose credibility, but he might be able to shut the guy up.
    #4. Your last point is right on the money. And someone like this customer probably thinks one treatment will solve the problem.

7. totallawncare912

Well thanks guys for all the input im going there again today so hopefully they will be there and i can get this resolved, also the house they are in happens to belong to a buddy of mines dad whom ownes it but rents it to these people..
    Keep them coming

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'd say the same thing that i said to a customer the other day who complained about the lawn=" well, mr smith, you know the ole saying, don't you?" mr smith replied, " no, what old saying?" to which i replied, " you can't shine sh!t, mr smith, you can't shine sh!t."

9. totallawncare912

I really dont care what these people have to say in responce to what i say because I know just as well as everyone here on LS that these kind of people arent faithfull and will drop you in a heartbeat not to mention we are only mowing if now cause they cant find a good deal on a POS residential riding mower

10. nboroPOWER33JR

nboroPOWER33JR LawnSite Member

if there renting the house id say have them check with the person that OWNS the house that way there will be no fighting on the bill and who knows maybe the owner just might want to pave everything like they do in lowell