Customer just doesn't like the stripes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Aug 10, 2005.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have a customer who is my first to ask about me not leaving the stripes in the lawn. I told her that there was really not anything I could do about them. She doesn't seem to believe me.

Oh well......she is happy with the work I do otherwise. And she pays on time.

Derek

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is your customer mentally ********? Explain to her that weight of the machine plus the tires, plus the stripe kit equal stripes. And if the customer doesnt understand you by then, I'd give up trying and just say they arent going away.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Derek-Exact opposite here..lol...We picked up a new account around the 4th of July. The guy's regular LCO couldn't keep up with a ferted 20K lawn w/ a 21. He was having a cookout the next day, so I made sure the first cut was perfect. He called the following week and asked me how much extra it would be to put the stripes in the yard each time we cut. I told him nothing extra, the Standers stripe regardless, and he was happy as a clam. Maybe we could start adding a " stripe fee" for the easily impressed...hmmmm.... :D

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If someone doesn't want "stripes", just mow in a "tractor pattern", meaning just go around in circles. Seems odd to me, though, most people love the stripes.

5. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I did a clean up a few years ago and the lady came out and asked what I had did to her yard. She told me that her husband put strips in the lawn when he had cut it and that she didnt like it at all. I tried to tell her that it is something that people look for in a lawn, she didnt want to listen, infact she got nasty, so I dropped the account.

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You can raise your deck and lower your blades, if you really don't want stripes to be so noticable.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

The funny part of it is, she has a very nice well kept lawn...... When I picked her up this year I was very proud of the way it looked after I mowed it. They she asks about not striping. I was a little deflated. Anyway.... I just thought is was kinda funny, and I had not seen others make this statement on LS.

Derek

8. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

mow her yard the "old fashioned" way do the square pattern mow in a square except dont mow the shorted end.... this way all u will have it two stripes LOL one big dark one and one big light one right next to one another......... how goofy would that look.....

9. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i had a client that didnt like the tire marks, she wanted me to push more her lawn , because of the small wheels. she was dropped that same week .. lol

10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I can beat that;
    Last year a neighbor of a customer asked us (I was there with one of my guys, Paul) about mowing her lawn. She was unhappy with her present lawn service (who did a very good job) because they insisted on using "those gas powered trimmer thingys". She asked us if we could trim using Hand Trimmers, otherwise known as Grass Shears. I heard a sound, and turned to see Paul's jaw hit the sidewalk. We didn't take her on as a customer.

Stripes, trimmers, ain't this fun?!