1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Customer line 'O' Crap

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Howard Roark, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

There must be a formal name for this. I would have done a search but didn't know where to start.

Customer is WAY late on their bill. Show up 1/2 doz. times, get different excuses from the daughter (Not home, their sleeping, I don't speak English well....yada whatever).
    Finally drive by at an odd time, both garage doors open with both cars. Gentleman comes to the door and I kindly ask for my check. He yells at his wife to write the check, and comes outside to talk. Makes up some B.S. excuse that we didn't blow off his back porch the last few times we were there, and I need to tell my guys to be better at it. Well, I was the guy who did the blowing everytime at his property, so I know he's full of crap.
    So customer blows you off, refuses to pay until you hound them, then tries to turn it around and claim you did poor work.
    Another one today that wanted a schedule change, but wanted it to be pushed almost 3 weeks ahead (he is a bi-weekly). I called to tell him we would be there today. His back gate was locked, which we found out half way through the front lawn. Called him to let him know, and he left me the message stating that he thought we were starting NEXT week, and Oh by the way....the front didn't even look mowed to me. More crap considering he's bi-weekly and we darn near scalp his yard each time, AND again I was on the crew.

So what is it guys, what's the word or phrase for this common action of complete lack of honesty or pride our customers have as they spoon us this?

Or maybe it's just me and I'm on a streak? :cool2:
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow.....The first story sounds exactly like what has happend to me with every single Indian I have ever worked for. They always refuse to pay the full amount and then make up some bogus story why they dont have too. Of course this is after they are 3 months late on payment that they tell you they werent happy.

And for the record....I dont think im being rasist. 100% of my experiences with this nationality have turned into this. Cant argue with facts. :realmad:
  3. Howard Roark

from Texas

4. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Funny You should say this, I mowed for an Indain (native american) that has a lot in out neighboor hood. He hates white men. So I mow and go to get me check and after the usually price negotian (sp) he goes into this spill about how all our neighbor used to be his people's land then white men came and ran them off and he was the only one remaining. Hes no older than 35 but hes crazy. Parts of my neighborhood are 25 years old. so I had to ask him where they all went when we drove them of the land.... he tells me straight out that they (including his parents) live in the nursing home a few miles away. It was soo funny I had the hardest time keeping a straight face while he was talking to me....
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search for a thread named I think "Your camel is my camel" A great thread started by bobby g. It was closed for obvious reasons, but it comes to mind........... my friend.
  6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

You are being racist but, I have to say that in this case I have to agree, or maybe its just a different mindset. Either way its a pain.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Amazing how they all pull the same crap.... the same exact way. Is there a "how to screw hard working americans" handbook they get before entering the country or something??? As soon as I hear that accent on the voicemail I hit delete without even listening to the message. :dizzy:
  8. Howard Roark

from Texas

I had another woman call me today. When I finally figured out what street she was attempting to pronounce, I said "Sure, which service would you like?" As I offer weekly and bi-W with prices on the postcards I put out. She said "Be at my house tomorrow at 11 a.m. to discuss. " I said sorry, I cannot do that as I'm extremely busy on Fridays. We service your area on M, Tues, and WEd. Which service would you like? She said "ok, be at my house Monday at 11 a.m. to discuss. " I replied "What service was it you were looking for?!". She said she'd have her husband call me back. I should have just hung up half way through. Next time...I will.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I agree totally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

You should have hung up.

I get screwed everytime i talk to arab's. Always want the price cheaper, always want more for the price and they don't like contracts that bind them to what is quoted only. So i just stay away.