Customer List of Requirements

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LB1234, Mar 4, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I was curious if anyone requests a list of requirements or something similar before placing a bid. This is directed more towards commercial property maintenance and snow plowing.

There have been a few bids this past year that I have lost due to my price being significantly higher. After speaking with the superintendent, manager, etc. I start asking questions. I quickly find out my bid is significantly higher cause I'm doing more. When I present this finding to the manager they state I never said that or thats not what I meant or something else along those lines.

So I was thinking to give a more accurate quote that can be compared apples to apples I would request a list of requirements. Then I got to thinking would this turn the company off? If it did, did I even want this as an account since they more than likely are just looking at price?

Thought, comments, experiences are appreciated...thx:waving:

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think it would be unreasonable. Both apartment complexes that I service gave me clear instructions written out of what they wanted. I feel if they are putting a job out to bid, just like the state or county or govt. would do, they should pass out a detailed description of what they are looking for.
    The only way you could combat this would be to give a detailed estimate with prices broken out for each service and let the customer choose which services and then figure out a total for your services.

3. Dollar Spot

Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

I always try to get a spec sheet for a site. It saves time and money. It lets you know if you can deliver the service or helps you determine what you have to do to be able to deliver the service. It also helps the potential client get a true reading on the bids.

It all comes down to communication with the client if they don't have a spec sheet for the site. One thing to keep in mind, is that if they are bidding the job out, that maybe they weren't satisfied with the previous maintenance practices. It would be important to find this information out ahead of time instead of bidding on a program that wasn't working to begin with.

I have never lost a job because I've asked for a spec sheet but I have had people say "no, you tell me what I'm suppose to have done". At that point you have to find out what the problems are and put together a bid that has profitable solutions to those problem. Then sell yourself and expertise to the client along with your bid.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I got a 10 page set of requirements from Grubb & Ellis. That took me forever to look over to make sure I didn't miss anything.

5. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I always ask for a detailed list of duties but if its not given I just give a detailed list of things I will be doing and if there is anything not listed it will be billed accordingly.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

great post....thanks for the feedback:clapping:

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Always ask for a description of expectations. It beats the crystal ball anyday.

If nothing is available, then it's the old "on a scale of 1-10, how important is appearance, how important is price?"