Customer mistakes me for someone else

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by landscaper22, Apr 17, 2008.

1. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

So, this guy calls me yesterday and leaves a message. He says I installed an irriagation system in his yard and now he wants me to give him a price on installing the sod for him that we talked about. :confused: I don't recognize his name, and I could not have installed his irrigation system, because I don't install them.:laugh: Never have.
    So I call him back today. I said I got your message...So you are interested in having some sod installed. We talked a little and I ask him again for his propety address. I told him that I didn't remember installing any sprinklers for him. He acted like I was crazy for not remembering. He also seemed like I was crazy for asking his address again and for directions on how to get there.
    So I suddenly realized he somehow has mistaken me for someone else. I was trying to tell him this in a round about way, but then I decided to play along and see what happens. I quit asking questions and told him I would come by tomorow to look at the job and give him a price.
    The only thing I can figure is he may have picked up my card somewhere along the way and forgot the name of the other guy that installed his irrigation system and thought my card was the other LCO's card. I don't know. Either that or I am losing my mind. My wife does tell me she worries about me because I forget everything, but I would have to be very bad off to forget this. I am sure when he sees me, he will know he made a mistake. But I am going to see if I can land the job. I just thought it was funny. Never had that happen before....I only hope the other LCO did a great job with the irrigation install. I wouldn't want him to smear my name. I do hate to go out there tomorrow and he expect me to do warranty work on his irrigation system. :laugh: Guess that wouln't be too funny.

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

be sure to let us know how it turns out

3. landscaper22

Well since the idler pulley went out on my exmark at my large account this morning, I was not able to go give the estimate today. The dealer is 45 minutes away from this account. With all the traveling and maintenance to get it running again, I had a long day. I called the guy and he said no problem. He said to come by whenever I can, no hurry. I will keep you updated.

4. hef37087

hef37087 LawnSite Member

You need to be more honest with the customer. You said you tried in a round about way, but you also said you were worried about getting your name smeared....imagine the reaction the customer is going to have when he finds out that you are not who he thought you was. Will he bad mouth your company then? Just my thoughts.

5. landscaper22

I don't really think this is going to be a problem. Remember, he called me. I have not mis-represented myself. I told him I do not do much irrigation work and that I don't recall doing any work for him. He is the one that kept on like I should know and making statements like "you remember", "you know".
    When I get there he is going to realize I am not the person that installed his irrigation. If he still does not realize the mistake, then he is bad off. I am going to look over his property and tell him I don't believe I have ever been here before. I will explain that there just have been some mix up, but I will proceed to measure the property for sod. He may be a little embarrassed, but I don't think he will get mad. It was his mistake. Heck, I have serviced for a lot of people over the past 5-6 years now. I can't remember all of the the names of all the people I have come in contact with. I just know his general location and I don't recall ever servicing in that area. And I don't recall ever installing an irrigation system. There is also a possibility that the irrigation guy I use when someone inquires about sprinkler systems gave this customer my card. Maybe the guy thinks we are the same company. So, he just called the number on the card. I don;t know, but I really don't see where this is going to be a huge problem. I either land the job, or I do not.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't going to say anything but ...
    I also think this has wrong written all over it in a light way, like it's not real bad but it's still there.

Something about out smarting ourselves...
    Nothing to feel terribly bad about, and it will probably be all right, but I'd be for taking the honest way out, now that's just me.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I get calls from people thinking I'm someone else quite often. There's another "jason" in this town that mows with his dad, but they use their LAST NAME -lawn care as their business name. You can see what mine is. But they also don't have any ad in the phone book, or listed numbers, so I get maybe a call a week for these guys. I don't have their number, and frankly don't care to be forwarding it to people. I tell them they do have the wrong person, but then offer MY services since they can actually find me. I've looked at a few of the lawns they have been called for, and wouldn't even give a bid they were so nasty.

8. landscaper22

What's the problem. Gee, no matter what gets posted on here, some are going to go way off the deep end with responses. I mean if I call the guy back and say sorry don't know you, never heard of you, never did any work for you, guess what, the conversation is over. I will never get to even look at the job. But I am in business. If someone calls and inquires about work, I will go. It's what I do. I don't see anything at all wrong with this situation. Once I get to the house and talk more with him, I am sure we will get to exactly where the mix up lies. Maybe its me. Like I said maybe the customer wanted sod installed, and maybe the guy that installed his irrigation system was my friend, and he gave him my card and said call this guy about sod. The customer could have just misunderstood. I don't think it would be very good business practice to just end the conversation since I didn't install his sprinklers. I just thought it was funny because I have never had this happen before. Why are some reading way to deep into the the issue? Would you not kick yourself later if you found out that the guy called the right person (you) but was just a little mixed up about the circumstances of how he got your card?

9. Gardens55

Gardens55 LawnSite Member

I think you did the right thing. Trouble is he might be a bit surprised when he doesn't recognize your face! If he was the one insisting that you did some work for him then it's his fault. As long as you do a good job for him you will both get what you want.

10. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Get the account and do a good job and there will be not confusion about who he will call back.