Customer Moved, Should I knock on door!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOOSE, Jan 11, 2003.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers moved and new people are moving this week. Should I wait for them to possibly call or knock on there door in mid march.
    This job is a big job and would hate too lose it. It brought in $5400 last year on contract terms.

2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

What are you waiting for?:confused: :)
  3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

worst they can say is no.

i would not go in expecting them to sign though.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't wait until March. Get your name in there RIGHT NOW.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Wait until mid-March and you might be SOL my friend, Go introduce yourself a day or so after they have settled in.

Something I have done in the past was to have a typed up sheet of paper for all new relocated people. It would list restraurants, movie threaters, shopping malls, food stores, dry cleaners, etc. of places that I knew were reputable.

People new to the area ususally don't have a clue where to find things in the beginning. Extend a helping hand like what I mentioned and it many times makes a big difference. Try works
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

In the future, if you know your customer is moving, ask them to put in a good word for you to the new tenants.
  7. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

Introduce yourself asap, but try not to be pushy, offer your services if needed, and welcome them to the of my best customers is someone who moved in about 5 years ago into an existing account.......never missed a cut!!! Eric
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I find a lot of times that if my clients are happy w/our services that they actually will take my business card and/or other literature to settlement w/ them. Many upscale accounts takeprideintheir properties and wish to see themkept up. They do the leg work for you.

9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Turfdude took the words right out of my mouth....

1 customer i had moved last fall..... i stopped by to greet the new people while they were pushing thier 21", and i was mowing next door. They said my prices were too high and gave me a rude look,so then they called a few weeks back for snowplowing (almost 1/2 way through the season) and i didn't even bother returning the call.

Some you get back some you's all part of the game
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Wait until the end of Feb. Their busy, getting unpacked and staightening the belongings out. If you went right now, you might scare them away.