Customer moves but doesn't tell

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jan 20, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

What do you guys do about customers who move, but never inform you. So you show up do the app, then suddenly the new home owner calls and says they don't live here, blah blah.??????

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We have that covered in the service agreement. The client is responsible for informing us of any move, and pays for any services performed.

3. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

No matter what the contract says, good luck collecting your money. Depending how much it is you might be better off just writing it off. The last time I took someone to small claims it cost around $35 to have then served plus a day off of work which that part really hurts. One time I just had the wife summons to court and she had a fit and the husband paid a day proir to court. In 16 years it has only happened less then 5 times but it will happen again. You get better at judging people as you go along.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

i look at the home listings in my area on the computer everyweek to see if theres anything coming my way.

You just might have seen that house for sale????

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing you can do--but--it is probably a good idea to have a sentence in your agreement : "Customer responsible for payment even if moved--unless canceled."
    Just a cost of doing business--however I usually make a note on customer's truck card if I see a "for sale" sign on the house. So if it looks empty--or if kid's toys and swing sets are different, at least I can be suspicious. I can ask neighbors. Or I can call from cell phone--is it disconnected? Number changed?

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I usually make a note if the house is for sale, if the house looks like somebody else lives there I knock on the door and see if I can continue the service for the new owner. I think it would be pretty hard to collect, but I would send a invoice to the address and the owner had most likely forwarded the mail to the new address. who knows you may get lucky! but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

home listing? your own or is there somewhere to go online to view my local moves?

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try Realtor.com or any realty.com there is in your area.

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Went and did an app to find out the house had been sold to an enviro-nazi. This lady comes home just as I'm blowing off the driveway, practically foaming at the mouth. Good thing it was a just-fert round and too hot to spray for weeds.